Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Crime after the world cup another survey

stores
Super Contributor
My best mate in JNB posted this on facebook ....(Crime ... my imagination !!! or is that picking up here in SA after the WC. Me thinks so - just this week I was the victim of an attempted car theft and had an employee mugged as well as also a friends daughter held at knife point..from my perspective the damage to my brand new car in the "secure hospital car park" seemed insignificant given I had just visited a relative in ICU). I think that now is the best time to make hits for the the robbers out there. Be on you guard.... By the way he parked his car, a fancy Toyota 4X4, around 20 metres from the main entrance of this larney hospital with parking security and pay entry etal... and these guys imobalised the remote, alarms and other security out before breaking the back window.. My mate says that that they were probably interupted trying to find the tracker unit. As a CHITTYHHAT survey what are your opinions...Are we at more risk from a security point of view after WC 2010?
0 Kudos
37 REPLIES 37
stores
Super Contributor
Also it seems that COSATU has given the OK for strikes after the WC.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
What I find laughable is that during the WC foreign visitors had the benefit of special crime units and courts to aprehend and convict even the most petty of criminals.Now that the WC party is over,it's back to the old useless criminal justice system for locals.How ludicrous !!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
At time like these I am reminded of a quote by Anton Rupert." you will never sleep well if your neibour is hungry"...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Striker - i cant agree with you more. This whole system is a FAT JOKE. You know what is even more scary - the fact that unemployment is at extreme high levels and that our neighbours is pouring in like sardins so crime is going to accelerate at a higher pace from now on. The police are looking for new headquarters! Ha- Ha.
0 Kudos
Whatsup
Contributor
What I find amazing is that during the WC there were cops at every intersection 24 hours. In the suburb that I live there were at least 5 cops around our little retail hub in the suburb, again 24 hours. I took a walk along the Durban beachfront on Sunday morning and saw the only two cops I have seen for two weeks????? Where have all the cops gone??????? The high visibility over the WC period is what sorted out the crooks, also the special WC courts was a good idea which could take a huge load off the current judicial system. I thought it was too good to last.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
No visibility my friend. I mean here in Nigel for example were they visible for a couple of weeks during the action period and now. I mean a woman and her kids were shot a couple of blocks from me and where is the police? I think they were visible to please the foreigners but for there own people they don't care.
0 Kudos
Whatsup
Contributor
The question Stephan is where have all these cops and vehicles been hidden, the place was blue with cops now not a soul to be seen. The cop cars alone was amazing, they must have huge car parks somewhere to be storing these vehicles.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ya - that's the million dollar question, so they do have the resourses/ can organise it for huge events and for now crimeeeeee goes on until we hit a olimpic games event maybe if we are lucky. I don't know but i'm really fed up with this crime issue. I just know if something hits the fan and they broke into your house or steal your hard earned goods they say you need to phone them and they will arrive the next day.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
sounds like we all need a sign on our front gates asking criminals for 24hrs notice??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
I'd say, same risk, renewed focus. The WC absorbed lots of attention, so some crimes went unnoticed, BUT, YES, the visibility of law enforcement ubits must have had the same effect as a light left on at home when you are away on holidays. Now that everything else is back to normal, old habits settle back. The highly active organizers and managers and savers of the SA face, enjoy a well deserved rest, while the subordinates carry on with little to gain from their efforts. We've got another Government employees' strike at hand, if nobody noticed!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Just been to see the film...Magabe and the white african. I tell you what its a powerful film. I would also like to say that perhaps Topgun has been right and I have not been listerning, But like all the comments above. The simple question is this...WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT!!!!
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
Only one way to make this govt. start listening and start caring about it's people - withold our taxes.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
I, for one, would love to do just THAT - problem is, the mechanism with SARS is against you. Only way out is to withhold local municipality rates and taxes, in line with an acknowledged procedure (as with for example, Sannieshof). Question is: will withholding of money from government solve the absolute lack of skills and knowledge in the cader of management? My view is that a turnaround of the forces that facilitate deterioration in general, must be eliminated - but get this through to the voters! Another point: our resources are waayyyy not enough to finance the terrific basic needs of the masses. And a final point: the instinct to kill and demolish (and strike) when you are not satisfied with "whatever" is part of a culture that belongs more to the lower income section of the (any) population... you will not find this modus operandi amongst well bred ("civilised") people. Even well bred, poor people, do not take part in extreme demonstration and destructive behaviour.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
Well then it's time that "well bred" tax compliant,law abiding members of society gave the govt. a wake up call.If enough civilians partake the govt. , short of building more prisons and jailing us all,might just get the message.The ANC used civil disobedience to further their cause,maybe it's time they had some of their own medicine.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Agreed.. withholding tax is an answer..but it does not change the growing disatisfaction at the "haves" from the "have not's"...Ie its the WHites fault!!!!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
But if we all paid over our vat reciepts into a fund administered by Tom Boardman or some other banking CEO....and we bought 500 rubish trucks with the money... then drove them into the townships with banners on them saying our tax strike bought you these...now you are doing something useful..Perhaps!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
LA, and San Fransico... uses this model in the film industry...they close down highways for a shoot and cause untold caos..then a week later they drive 5 new dump trucks down the road saying.."last weeks trafic jam bought us this, thank you for your patience" and it works!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, give your money to a banker .. I like that idea ..
0 Kudos