Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Current account deficit

boing
Frequent Contributor
Can anyone explain the impact of this on our economy and the rand. Especially if the deficit continues to increase.
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Preston
Super Contributor
Current account decifit mean the net inflow of foreign currencies is less than our currency. Continual increase will result in weakening of the rand.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
and it is ecpected to continue to increase with dividend out flows (foriegners been big buyers), and because of capex spend (like the 202 spoornet locomotives).
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Preston, what do you mean by "net inflow of foreign currencies is less than our currency".
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
more money out then in
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hey Simon ask those smart boys behind you what the latest foreighn holding on the jse is these days as a %
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Nah! it was over 50% at the investor outlook presentation.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
hmmm, wonder were I got 35? Well then slightly higher then from the presentation as they have been net buyers since.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Note the part about.. ask the smart guys!
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
What this boils down to is that SA is effectively selling the family silver (Edcon, stakes in ABSA, SBK and foreign portfolio flows) over time to fund its consumption expediture. Fact is, we are generating a huge c/a deficit in a booming world economy and selling as much platinum, coal, manganese etc. as we can produce and export at all-time high prices. The capital imports (Eskom, Transnet etc.) have yet to come - now juxtapose this position with a possible cooling off of the global economy and hence lower commodity prices. Should the latter scenario even partly come into play, the consequences might be severe for both the Rand and CPIX, and hence interest rates. SA might then be forced to severely curtail its commitments ito its planned infrastructure rollout. Many dangers lurk over the horison!!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
true about the silver, I have made a point of meeting and talking to as many fund managers as possible and in the last 3 years I am yet to meet an all out bull.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
lol, I was playing at being smart. Back to the drawing board it seems.
0 Kudos