Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Cv for Trading

Werner_1
Super Contributor
BTW: Bankers dont suck, just imagine the world without them... people rip them off now because of the crisis, but they play a very important role in the global economy, if you like it or not.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I don't like it. Not one bit. They're a risk to all of us. They are way too powerful and greedy for my liking. It's an explosive combination and I don't feel they serve an important role at all. Read Barbarians at the gate - It's a true story. It might enlighten you about what's really the order of the day @ wall street. It all about money and self enrichment. Nothing else matters, nothing.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
cool .. so no banks or bankers .. next time you get paid your boss will give you what ?? lets say a couple of gold coins, enjoy driving home with those in your pocket .. ooppsss .. no banks so no car loan so you'll be walking home .. ooppss no bankers so no home loan .. spose you sleep at work .. ooppss .. argh you get the picture ??
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I am very well aware of whats going on, in the past, now and what will happen in the future. But you have to admit that without banks giving loans, helping people transfer and pay each other the world will be a very different place. Some misused their power with *****py instruments, but then again CDS is a good idea but executed badly by most banks (not all) (nice comment they had in Wall Street II), but without a banking system we all will be worse off...
0 Kudos
ClintD
Occasional Contributor
Do Level 1 of the CFA - Will help set you apart from all other applicants, it also gives you a very good background on the markets!
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Jack ,why dont you just ask the bank, or google...and say thank you to all for their replies before being traumatised any further
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Clint...Clint! neh boss, that CFA is no childs play but you are right if he has the time, the drive and the sheer luck to get through all the material and still manage to be in the same band as the asians then by all means that is the answer
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Clint...Clint! neh boss, that CFA is no childs play but you are right if he has the time, the drive and the sheer luck to get through all the material and still manage to be in the same band as the asians then by all means that is the answer
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Okay, got it Breaker, 3 times but just ask Simon, all that will not make you a good trader; a good broker maybe but not a good trader. A good bottle of whisky while trading is all you need or a good anaesthetic; Something to numb you, take away all the emotion, turn you into a mechanical ZOMBIE.You dont need CFA, ANC or CMT or CTM!!
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Let's just differenciate between retail bankers and investment bankers here. I'm referring to the last mentioned. You won't find any retail bankers in Goldman Sachs now would you ?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
OK, so no investment bankers means we're wouldn't be here .. coz there would be exchange so no broker so no chat forum .. nah dudue, you can't blame an entire system because of the actions of just a few ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
might as well give it up now, you won't make it anyway
0 Kudos
Not applicable
van doodle you can suck it! xD
0 Kudos
brnman
Occasional Contributor
Just my two cents from past experience: as already suggested, get the CFA level 1 - if you're doing a Business Science or some such degree much of the Stats and Accounting stuff will be familiar. Then try and actively pursue any ( and I mean any) internship position that's relevant...in my experience this was way more important than any Society/Club involvement. Most Graduate Programs require online registrations and I'm almost convinced that the majority of CV's never get read by a human...so COPY-PASTE the listed requirements from the job posting into the end of your cover letter...this sometimes works to push your application through the filters. And don't be afraid to pick up the phone...if you can find the Human Resource number or have some contact, ask them personally whether they have received your application or even better - ask when it would be suitable for you to drop it off in person! A bit of cheek and persistance will take you far in this industry! And finally from some friends that recently got jobs in London, they were suprised at how much employers valued initiative and drive, i.e. if you can prove you set up your own business, or completed a large fundrasing project etc. Hope this helps and best of luck.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thank you BrnMan!! YOUR EPIC!! Thats exactly the kind of answer i was looking for :)
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
1. Have an excellent knowledge of the various terminology used in the trading world, i.e Diveregence,RSI, H&S and make sure those terminology is used in your CV. 2. Ideally have a small portfilio, which you can bring this into the conversion should you have an interview. 3. Understand the Financial aspect of the I/S and Balance sheet, you need to understand and interpret what is NAV, net asset value, PE ratio ,Dividend Growth. 4. Alway come across as passionate not overarmbitious in your CV. 5. Stand firm in your belief and avoid duplicity. Duplicity usually work against you in restructures of a company 6. Alway be humble in your approach. Good Luck Young Man
0 Kudos