Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

DOW up 11%

niemand
Contributor
Hmm,almighty rally tomorrow on JSE? What do the experts think?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Wizard
Super Contributor
Mama Bear is hiding behind the curtains.and she's not very happy!
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
I got to hand it to you, some of the comments on this forum really make me laugh. Yeah, have to agree, rally wont last long, profit takers and all.
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
knee jerk reaction. Fed cutting rates to even zero is not going to change the economy structually overnight. It took us more than six months to get here from the highs. The bad news in the US has largely been ignored overnight. Off a low base this seems like a BIG rally, but its essentally some players covering the shorts. Im guessing that this will be a good time to go short as the market realises that the interest rate cut does not change positions overnight
0 Kudos
Robbie
Regular Contributor
The dow was flat until 2 hours before close, then a sudden 11% up. It must have been a short squeeze - it's clear that it was artificial. The Aussies and NZ figured that out - they are only 1.34 and 2.18% green on their close. So far Bombay is 1.7% green. I expect we will be green all day, but not "very" green. We heard yesterday that our interest rate will increase in Dec - which I expected - that will suppress a huge rally here. I hope to get rid of some unwanted shares in my potfolio today.
0 Kudos
G_V_V
Super Contributor
Cowboys don't cry, don't say I didn't warn you.
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Robbie where did you hear the interest rate will increase in December??
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the rally was largely on the back of an upbeat statement from walmart
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
I agree with Robbie, Oz and NZ are clear on what they think of the DOW rally. This is an awesome opportunity to short at the top of the pop. However, the DOW could keep shooting up till the election is over. Now is not the time to make a hasty move. Either way, the volatility makes for great swing trades
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Another green day on the Dow and we should see a nice little rally (beore we go back down of course)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
guys this is t a , looking at the charts no major resistance broken ,volumes less than average , gonna wait and see\if the bears show us a sign then gonna go short maybe 2day or tomoro, also ppl human nature likes to look at positive but markets are factual, if we gonn make money we got to see whats happening omo maybe the charts bouncing at support
0 Kudos
Not applicable
guys this is t a , looking at the charts no major resistance broken ,volumes less than average , gonna wait and see\if the bears show us a sign then gonna go short maybe 2day or tomoro, also ppl human nature likes to look at positive but markets are factual, if we gonn make money we got to see whats happening omo maybe the charts bouncing at support
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Robbie i dont think you right about the interest rate the FAR curve has come back inline indicating a cut and 10yr money is back 70pts under 10%.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
With most of the world decreasing their interest rates it allows Tito to keep rates where they are AND at the same time the spread between our interest rates will increase and support the rand. Hopefully the carry traders (interest seekers)will come back on mass and support the rand. If interest rates are increased the market will tank because of the implications to growth. The market tanks, foreigners will sell and we will have a problem with a weaker rand. Next move should be down as long as the rand does not weaken further.OMO
0 Kudos