Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Daily benchmark for your own portfolio

kwagga
Super Contributor
What benchmark do you guys use to track you portfolio performance ? I run mine past the TOP40 index. If the index drop during a day, and I drop less, I'm happy, and the same for up days. I'm always looking for that edge over the TOP40. I suspect that as long as I outperform the TOP40 on an annual basis, it makes much more sense for me to to my own portfolio management rather than handling my portfolio over to a unit trust or fund. Almost every single fund out there will have a much lower benchmark than tracking the TOP40, and once that benchmark is reached, they start to scoop generous helpings of bonusses from that "outperformance".
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Not applicable
the past 2 years - Top40 but only on a monthly basis, not daily.

Now...stopped caring, I know my picks (like WHL) arent going to beat the top40 but why would I sell? ...and seriously put it into Amplats which might be beating the top40 but has anybody actually read the rubbish going on in these mining companies??
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I have a issue with so-called fundamental value investors punting shares like Lonmin, Amplats, Telkom etc. On paper, they are dirt cheap, but the managerial and political hurdles these companies face, carries a huge and mostly unquantifiable risk. If you can't accurately quantify the risk, then how can you call yourself a value investor to start off with ?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
kwagga, is your portfolio made up of mainly the TOP 40 stocks?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Combination of TOP4-, midcap mostely
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
so your mid-caps will be outperforming if you using the TOP 40?
0 Kudos
Porshe
Contributor
Daily ?? huh i will start tracking from today
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
If the index drop during a day, and I drop less, I'm happy...strange thing to say
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
daily like way often .. I do annual and three year rolling annual .. coz it not about the money, it about the discipline, money follows discipline ..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
ok, if my portfolio outperforms the index on any day, I'm content.happy now ?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Simon - Surely you cut driftwood from your portfolio, or do you use stop losses to do that automatically ?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
oh ya, laggers/losres and the like get binned .. but I don't need benchmark to do that, it based on individual stocks
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Great post..making me think ....thanks
0 Kudos