Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Day trading - can it work?

16 REPLIES 16
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
yes banks do it all the time.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
The most important step in achieving anything is is always the belief..the knowlage that other have gone before us...and knowing this media use this stratergy of doubt against us all the time....ie. It is still believed by 40% of all americans that evolution is a "myth" a "thory" despite living proof and estabilshed fact...how long did it take befor global warming was accepted as truth....Come on People ... people have been trading the market since markets existed. Now get over your doubt and get on with it.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
.I believe it can - but you need big capital ,to amplify the mostly small movements. High risks involved. Prefer to do swing trading, taking advantage of any overdone price movements , and wait for the correction. Typically this might involve holding for a couple of days or even weeks.
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
According to Alex Elder book Trading Room - 95 % of future traders lose money and he says that the banks are afraid ?? to reveal the stats-- let us take an honest stat on this forum. Who has made money day trading? not me AS Yet i would like to believe!!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Okay, now I'm going fishing. Here's the hypothesis : I've got R100k lying loose. I live in the sticks - no braai buddies to milk for ideas. The idea of sitting in front of a PC all day and make money appeal to me ENORMOUSLY. Let your brilliance shine, guys... Fusion, I want zilch from you, bud!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I thinks you need abut R100k .. and certainly I wouuldn;t want to spend my days in front of a PC, trading is boring .. and yes most loose money ..no secret in that ..
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
i think most traders dont make money is because thier not experienced enough and most traders go bust before they gain that experience, and money management is probably the main reason most beginner traders go bust.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
If GIJ was on your radar earlier today , a day trader picking them up at 65c could offload now at 85c.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yip, and they think they can day trade with no skills .. when in truth most don;t even know what day trading means, practically or theoritically ..
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Become a broker, that works!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
that not as easy as it sounds either .. you need critical mass otherwise legal/complaince/IT costs will kill you ..
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Will a "trader" working in a trading environment like OST or any other share trading platform, trading for his own account, have a trading advantage over the day trading farmer in the midlands? Can I come to work for you...?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I don't think they do .. an if they trading a large portfolio that size actually works against them ..
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Thanks, will keep my day job!
0 Kudos