Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Dead cat bounce

kwagga
Super Contributor
I wonder how many "investment experts" will now tell us that we should use the dips to buy more. Maybe they should this time around specify how deep they expect the dip to be before we all rush in again. Long term investment experts should really not be allowed to comment on TV more that once every five years.omo
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
shares
Contributor
Ag I think it depends what you're buying (cash flow, dividends, growth, NAV, Rand hedge, etc) and what price you're able to get it at. When there's blood in the streets and most people are too scared to commit money is when the bargains are there to be bought and we're just not there. So the market is still not a screaming buy but some stocks are slowly getting there (look at where they've been over the last year or two). Even if the world / local economy takes a hammering that certain businesses will continue to tick over, others will grow, etc. Of course whether the markets will panic is another question. They're certainly anxious though as witnessed by the increasing volatility. End result is that I'm currently accumulating cash but not buying much. I'm still about 70% in equities but this is falling due to the above mentioned cash accumulation, dividend payouts and of course the falling share prices.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Don't you just want to say hmmm ... like WTF ??? .. HaHa I do
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
We still got a ways to go, this is just the speculation phase of the crash. We still need to get the facts about how deep in the #$%^ the EU really is, that's when you're going to see the real panic. Its amazing, they said for the first one that most senior traders and investors had never in their lifetime been through a proper crash, I get to see 2 in the space of 3 years, although I just believe this is part 2 of the first one that's been prolonged by intervention that's inevitably just made things worse. Everyone is so worried about US recession, EU is our real problem.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
boys and girls you haven't seen a crash .. wake up to the market opening down 22% from the previous close .. that's a crash .. not sure we'll ever see that again due to circuit breakers etc ..
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Everybody should buy some microcaps to prepare them for this scenario. I am affronted daily by vast spreads... or a complete dearth of offers.
0 Kudos
Flyguy
Frequent Contributor
GLD is rocketing!!
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Must be Simon piling in!
0 Kudos
G_V_V
Super Contributor
This is like taking sweets from a child, what would you rather invest in, PE's of 8 or USA bond PE's of 100?
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Wow,where did that volume on gld just come from?
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
There goes heaven again!
0 Kudos