Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Death of Telkom ADSL?

Douw
Frequent Contributor
Satellite internet for R197 per month !! http://www.logical.co.za/yahclick/?gclid=CLbS2tafqbcCFXMctAod6FQAcg Also see Vanderbijlpark Ster 21 May 2013 page 5, demo at Vaal Mall.
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
err for R197 you get snail speed and almost zero bandwidth ..
0 Kudos
Douw
Frequent Contributor
Telkom ADSL at 384 bi/sec and 1 gB bandwidth served me well for many years. Sat service for R197 is 512 bi/sec at 4.5 gB bandwith, centainly good enough for most aps.
0 Kudos
leoridge
Contributor
Best deal is still 8ta 60+60 3g R1800pa ,no more landline hassles etc although is area dependent.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Im on my 2nd 60+60 deal now. Its getting slower month by month. I get speeds between 0.6 to 2.7 mbps nowdays.
0 Kudos
leoridge
Contributor
Also on second contract download ranges from 2 to 5 and upload 0.35 to 0.65 mps
0 Kudos
Not applicable
even 0.65mbs/s for your mobile broadband is still better than Douw's 512 and your are paying about R30 per month less. And Douw obviously hasn't heard about upgrading his DSL to a 4mbps line (Telkom offering 10mbps in some places). I mean, even on slow days, I still get 2mbps. So, in answer to your question Douw, no, I don't think the age of the dinosaurs is likely to resurface to kill Telkom (themselves a dinosaur of sorts)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
even 0.65mbs/s for your mobile broadband is still better than Douw's 512 and your are paying about R30 per month less. And Douw obviously hasn't heard about upgrading his DSL to a 4mbps line (Telkom offering 10mbps in some places). I mean, even on slow days, I still get 2mbps. So, in answer to your question Douw, no, I don't think the age of the dinosaurs is likely to resurface to kill Telkom (themselves a dinosaur of sorts)
0 Kudos
Douw
Frequent Contributor
I do not have or promote the sat service, merely thinking what its going to do to Telkom since it does not require lines or even wireless xG etc. Of course up to 10meg is available on the sat service. At present a Telkom connection (1meg) cost about R370/month including the line, but the point is that the sat service can replace ADSL with similar stability and performance and covers country wide.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nope, a cable into your house will always offer better internet than over the air (sat or 3g or wireless) .. fiber be best, copper old tech but delivers under various constraints
0 Kudos
Not applicable
actually, in terms of stability - copper has one big advantage that it can carry power to your distribution box, so it can operate in one of Eskom's regular oopsies. Fibre, on the other hand, requires local power
0 Kudos
Douw
Frequent Contributor
True, cable is always better where you have it available.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an wait until netflix arrives in SA and you downloading a 3gig movie
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
i just installed a 35dBI TV like antenna to my modem, so i can connect to my Apple TV about 50m away via WiFi...oh, and changes the router to a dual band with toatl 600mbs...so now i can stream my desktop to any TV via apple homeshare
0 Kudos