Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Did you know... the story of a 30 year old Chappie

john_1
Super Contributor
In 1980 the dollar was 2x the Rand and gold was $850 to the dollar. So an ounce of gold would cost you R1700...that same gold sold today would fetch a sum of R8000 rand. ....Now at the same time Chappies cost 2 Chappies for a cent so if you had spent your money (R1700) on Chappies you would have had a massive stash of 340 000 Chappies....now selling that at today's price of 30c would net you a return of R102 000 yes that's right the boy who bought Chappies is 10 times wealthier than the man who bought gold...Now ask yourself is it really a good time to buy Gold?
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Eben
Occasional Contributor
Good point I HOPE I dont have to eet them
0 Kudos
Not applicable
only problem with chappies they would be wrotten 28 years later
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
The point is chappies keep pace with inflation!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
well, thats if you can sell them... lol... this is a cool thread! chappies vs gold. John, i agree, there was way better investments since then than gold. I did pay R3500 for my Krugerrand a few years back, it did quite badly for many years, but now its a bit better, actually not a loss... but thats not really that long time...
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
The point is who in his right mind will keep gold holdings for 27 years? It's a hedging product, and that is all. The truth is that if you bought NewGold EFT as a hedge against market risk you would have made 38% profit for the year. Can you mention just one other share matching or beating this for 2008?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Kwagga.. My point is over the long term GOLD is has not kept pace with inflation .....if you measure inflation relative to a basic product like a chappie(as you know it will always be sold at a price slightly above cost...... Secondly I see no inverse relationship between stock markets and Gold.....Gold was at a low in 2003 stock markets were at a recent low in 2002 gold peaked in 2008 so did the stock market both have sinse sold off so were is the hedge????
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Imagine if u had some GOLD Chappies !!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
surely the important point is that you can eat chappies?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
U dont eat them .. u chew them , pure gold is a very soft metal u know ?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
AXE, i think you are onto something there, maybe we should patent this idea? using pure gold, maybe we can create a re-usable chappy as well, it will last longer than the ordinary chappies?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ja , but maybe in another country . Here they will knock out your teeth and cut your tongue out to get the damn Chappie
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
my favourite zambuca has gold flakes in it . good use for the metal .
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
lol. halfway there... someone thought of our idea before us...
0 Kudos