Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Difficulty in finding Management Work Experience in the Corporate World

Mr_S
Super Contributor
It seems no one is looking to have a volunteer manager/management assistant at their company! No pay requested! I need this management experience otherwise by the time a complete all my desired studies ill be considered over-qualified. Current have experience in managing & growing family business and my own business, but i want corporate experience. Iv tried asking for volunteer positions only to be told NO!, iv tried emailing & calling human resource departments in various companies, with no success. Any suggestions? Maybe its my age? im 19...or maybe its the wrong approach? i have untill im age 25 to gain as much corporate manegerial experience..suggestions please
0 Kudos
32 REPLIES 32
Not applicable
Wait till you're older, and get a degree.
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
If you are white that may have something to do with it!
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
thanks for the responses! lol no im not white...even if i was, do u honestly think that would be one of my problems? personally, even though im a black South African, this thing of ppl getting jobs based on their colour is rediculus, i mean seriously, i dont care weather yr black white or coloured, u gotta have the know how for me to employ you, FULL TO THE STOP!! OMO
0 Kudos
tangot
Occasional Contributor
One does not just walk into management positions, even if you have the qualifications. I am aware of many persons with MBA's still looking for management jobs years after qualifying. You need to start from scratch and learn the basics of your specific field. Then you must develop yourself into a position, gaining the trust of your fellow colleagues and your superiors, the younger you are the more important it is. You need to proof in practice that you have the skills required of, not only a manager but a leader. Managers need more wisdom than knowledge and that is something only time, experience and patience will bring. There is an enormous difference between managing your own business and managing in the corporate world. Before you can fly you need to crawl, walk and run first. That's applicable to management too.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
Thanks for the response, by trying to obtain these volunteer positions i was trying to 'develop myself into a position' and learn the specifics of my required field as you mentioned. I mean, i was using this as a way to gain entrance into a company, and do the things you just mentioned. Also, i do recognise the diffrence between corporate management and small business management, thats exactly the reason why i am looking at this type of experience. I dont want to get to the age of 25, once iv completed my studies, then be told that im lacking experience - proactive :-)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
In general, corporations don't take volunteers. Its difficult to get people to do unpleasant jobs continuously if you don't pay them...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the trick is often that the time it takes to get the person up to speed is more then the value they can bring in the short time they are there ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Why on Gods green earth would you want to work for somebody else...so that you can get 12 days off a year...come on. Go start a business ...anything...then by the time you qualify it will be you who is doing the interviewing not the other way round...you can hire the dude who tops your class and you can do what ever you like...
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Not meant offensively: OMO - he's a black, can't develop his own business without capital, the capital he has is invested on the OST and he lost a lot because of reasons known, and nobody with capital trusts his 19 yr old aspirations. Then: to put him in a managerial position for free is like paying peanuts and getting the same. He should rather hire himself out at a price, then someone might be interested. I agree with the earlier comment: crawl, then walk, fly later. I know a MBA who I say is too lazy to work, he's got brains, got the MBA, and want to step into the butter bucket. He's still selling life policies and doesn't do too well.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
So start a business that requires no capital..Like collecting videa's or delivering pizza. see the route as your own and service it acordingly a one day it will be...in Cape Town all you have to do to get ahead is show up on time, do more than you asked and charge reasonably.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
I agree with John - buy a shelf CC, spend a bit of time and money (time is mor important) on marketing what you think you can do, create a brochure and go and do it! You would be surprised what people will pay for.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
My point is simple instead of trying to prove you are motivated...go be motivated...instead of trying to show you have experince...go create your own..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
One last thing....If you are currently studying then that is going to be the primary focus of anyone looking to hire..so make sure you are doing that at the best of your abilities because no amount of experince will make up for bad grades.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
Hi john, i understand clearly your point here, and i appreciate your reply. I just dont understand how a person who aims to be in senior or executive management goes about making the transition between studing and actually getting the position. Does it follow the following sequence: (a)study - (b)work & gain experience for 15 or more years - (c)obtain the required job at age 50 or 60. - and besides, if one had to attempt b, i would be told that i need CORPORATE experience. Does anyone mind reviewing Experience section of my CV, for thier opinion? please provide your email addressess.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
My logic behind studying etc and aiming for that job, is that i would be able to accumulate enough capital to 1) invest monthly 2)fund any businesses i will start 3) diversify my income streams in case things dont go too well with my businesses 4)assist my businesses wen cash-flow issues arise. Its just a stepping stone and contingency, otherwise im naturally an entrepreneur.
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
let me help you. you WILL not be hired as a manager irrespective of color, creed, abilities etc at 19/20. Being a manager these days is more about leading rather than managing. Have you thought that CORPORATES have many 1000's of people. What wisdom ,experience etc do you wish to share/guide direct etc a lareg team - lets say 700-900 people, straight out of varsity. Industries are different etc, let say you go into an engineering industry - do you have any experience to give inputs/techncial advice to teams. What do you know about labour law, disclipinary actions, financial issues. Managing a small business, you can get away with. Managing a budget running into hundreds of million to bilions is a different case. Would you as a shareholder of a CORPORATE trust a young, in experienced person. I think not. If you want to be a manager, you need to start at the bottom, out perform you peers and be promoted up the ranks. You cannot start at the top. If you are planning in his, prepare to have you bubble burst and you will still be looking for a CORPORATE management job in 20 yrs time. Hope you are starting to get the picture
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
Well worded DR... John, how's the potato patent registration coming on?
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
DR thanks for that. I think i am greatly mis-understood, im not trying to be a manager or sum corporate firm at age 19/20, im simply talking about once i graduate and complete all my studies. ill be approx 28-29 by that time. But i get your point, and as harsh as it was lol ill take it into consideration..regards
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
0 Kudos