Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Difficulty in finding Management Work Experience in the Corporate World

john_1
Super Contributor
LOL.. ya we are talking the idea global...I am selling shares in a Vodka factory in Pofada as we speak.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
any clue to what the patent is about, i am curious? just basic clue would be OK?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I will be happy to tell you as soon as it is finally lodged..
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
no problem, i guess it is a sensitive subject until secured by law. sounds very interesting though!
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
S - you got good advice so far. You will need to develop patience, and when you've got that, it will stand you in good stead as a manager. Entrepreneurs are a breed of their own, and generally don't do too well as executives at coporates in any case - so decide what it is exactly you're aiming towards here. No matter what path you choose, your degree will stand you in good stead, what are you studying anyway? If you want a big business where you can make a killing one day, weather it be by paying yourself in divis, big salary, or building it to sell to someone else - your degree will help you do it, but even there you'll proove your stuff and learn your ways by starting small businesses, which will teach you all sorts of important things about people and products that you SIMPLY CANNOT get in books. Small businesses which fail, and you either turn them around or start another one and succeed, what goes into your cv when you did that will look a lot different that what you did up to now and will speak to employers and investers in a different way to what you are able to communicate at 19. And no, you're not expected to get a degree and then wait 15 years before you can get that dream job. What's important is demonstrating strength of character, and you can only do that by showing your discipline over a number of years throughout your youth and adult life. If you flunked at school, then shone in matric, then flunked out of your first degree and shone in your second ... will say alot. Consistency is key to success, as is confidence, experience, tenacity, people skills, asset management, keeping appointments, attendance, going the extra mile, initiative, lateral thinking, maturity etc. Noone will give you a shot at a senior position until you have outshone your peers in a variety of junior positions and after displaying a variety of strengths in character. Noone gets their dream job strait out of uni. Grades are not everything, and neither is experience. You need to perform, everywhere, consistently. You need to show that you can set your own goals, and drive yourself toward achieving them, every time. Then you'll start getting shots at setting goals for others and for corporates to see if you can motivate, direct and manage resources.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Oh John, I'll take the potato challenge .... but it's not planting season for potato eyes right now! And the ones in my boxes are already established and stacked up roots busy making me bigger winter earthy spuds.
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Qualify at 25, 3-5yrs solid work, you 30 and have the world at your feet. Not quite sure how 50-60 fits into this? The guy that heads up our regional division is early 30's.
0 Kudos
olilau
Frequent Contributor
hi mr S unfortunately i have to agree with tangot, DR and saash, but at the same time, gotta tell ya that i take my hat off to you. refreshing to see and hear this type of initiative and attitude. personally i see nothing wrong with a managerial learnership programme as long as you don't peg your hopes on it absolutely to land you a plum management job in a corporation based on that and your qualification. there are no shortcuts, but ANY experience is experience - and what you are suggesting is somewhat novel and unique. i believe it WILL give you some insight to learn from and would stand you in good stead - and any corporation that ultimately hires you on merit will benefit also.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
u raise points that even if i dint read ur initial comments would tell dat u've never been employed. we need affimative in this country when it comes to emplyment. get into the industry n u'l agree. i'm a mech engineer who retired at 24 because of marginalisation. we actually need the bee deals to become shareholders as well n that is more important dont paly that down please.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
Gosh saash im speechless! I dont know how to thank you for that VERY VERY usefull information! It makes total sense to me now. And unfortunately, patience is not my strength but im working on it. Thank you again! I will actually print this out and keep it as a reminder! Much appreciated!!
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
Thanks! Im said to be highly ambitious and think too far ahead at times, but i will take the advise given here as obviously you guys know what yr talking about! I appreciate you seeing the positives about my way of thinking. THANKS A MILLION!!!
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
Guys, i would just like to thank you for your responses. I appreciate every single input you all gave as it allows me to view and consider things from a diffrent perspective. I must admit, i hate being ordinary, and i thought i would 'jump the q' a little bit. I see now that this might not be possible, or as easy as i thought. Thanks Again!!! Sax
0 Kudos
olilau
Frequent Contributor
jumping the queue IS possible ! but you have to start at the back of the queue and BE jumped on merit, rather than jumping yourself, all the while still juggling the respect of your peers. but as i said, your ambition, forward thinking and hunger will stand you in good stead.
0 Kudos