Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Dividend payout at the end of April

Newbie3
Occasional Contributor
I purhcased 275 shares in the company on 18/04/2007. I read the company news which says that dividend of 14c/share will be paid out on 30/04/2007 for all those whose names appear on the share register on 26/04/2007. Surely, buying shares 1 week before dividend payout cannot entitle me to the full 14c per share. If anyone can explain to me how this works it will be appreciated.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Not applicable
Yup. If you buy shares at 1 min before close on 26/04 then you get the full div.
0 Kudos
ABuzz
Super Contributor
Yes Newbie, the dividend is all yours. Very often the market factors it into the price, so whilst you get the dividend, you probably paid the equivalent or close to it more for your share in the bigger scheme of things
0 Kudos
Newbie3
Occasional Contributor
Newbie3: Amazing! Thanks for the info.
0 Kudos
DCTrader
Super Contributor
Not really Newbie... the share price tends to drop by a similar amount the day after LDR (last day to register). Short term, it rarely benefits you to buy and sell in order to get the dividends.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you need to hold them at teh close on the last day to trade (LDT) to get the div.
0 Kudos