Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Dividend tax vs Foreign Tax

MehmoodHaffejee
Frequent Contributor
Yoh! Dividend payout taxed at 35% (foreign tax) vs 15% standard. Any idea on the reason for this..?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I also noticed that, foreign dividends are taxed higher than local ones...
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
Swiss withholding tax is 35%. We can claim back 20% but I was told that last year too and gave up trying to find out how.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it is Swiss tax law and the paper work is massive so unless it a significant amount it not worth your time, unless you sell time real cheap ..
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
Fill in the forms which CFR sends out - its no big deal. Simon I am still waiting for the 10% surge in the price - but have stopped holding my breath must be the 1 out of 4?
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Surely? tax treaties between countries allow you to deduct foreign taxes paid against income in RSA. Saves you all the paper work?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
momentum ?? it the total portfolio 1 in 4 years .. my Top40 portfolio has 4 flat one flyer in APN
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Tax treaties....hmm...anyone read Treasure Islands: Tax Havens and the Men who Stole the World? If so, what did you think?
0 Kudos