Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Dividend withholding tax

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
coming in at 15%, not the expected 10% ..
0 Kudos
30 REPLIES 30
superstar
Regular Contributor
That was shock for me as well
0 Kudos
CLS
Occasional Contributor
How does that effect the reciever of dividends!?
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
AHHHHHHHH!! What is the impact please????
0 Kudos
Not applicable
And CGT increasing from 25% to 33%? Did I hear that right?
0 Kudos
superstar
Regular Contributor
We can only hope that companies will pay out more on dividends now that they are not taxed but to answer your question dividends will be taxed on investors hand but will be withheld by the company paying such divs.
0 Kudos
superstar
Regular Contributor
Yes you heard perfectly Jezebel.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yes, but CGT is 33.3% of your tax rate, so max CGT for individual is 13.3% ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
companies stop paying STC tax (was 10%) and you now pay 15% on divs received .. effective 1 April ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but companies where planning for a 10% new div tax, not 15% .. me thinks my effective divs just went down ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well, all I can say is that he shouldn't have said in his introduction that he wanted to encourage personal savings by 2014 when he knew he was going to slam us for the next two years. And the price of ciggies! And wine!
0 Kudos
G_V_V
Super Contributor
Anyone know what the interest exemption threshold amount is for 2012/2013?
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
As a dividend investor, this is how I see it. Under STC I got R100 and the co. paid R10 STC. Cost to co. = R110. If the co. wants to keep it's cost to co. at R110 then it pays R11 div. tax (at initial proposal of 10%) and I get R99. Now at 15% div. tax, co. pays (on my behalf)tax of R16,50 and I get R93,50. So effectively, taxes have gone from 10% (10/R100) to 11% (11/R99) to now 17.65% (16.5/R93,50). It appears that the minister has his own "invisible hand".
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
The less cynical will calculate it as 9,09% (R10/R110) to 10% (R11/R110) to 15% (R16.5/R110). It's still a MASSIVE 65% increase (media reporting 50%) in div. tax. OUCH!!!
0 Kudos
G_V_V
Super Contributor
Not good for jobs if companies have to increase the dividend to R118 so as to compete to protect share price.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
so the investor who is in the lowest tax bracket benefits? And what about the Buffet Rule...is it law yet?
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
From 1 April 2012 co.'s will stop paying STC. What effect will this have on their HEPS as there is no longer a STC expense to deduct. How would this effect PE ratios(or earnings yields)and dividend yields? I would think that HEPS gets a "once off" kicker and therefore PE's come down. The div. yield should also get a kicker and increase. As GVV says, the co. must now pay a R118 div. to match the "clean" R100 they paid to the investor who has to pay the 15% div. tax to protect the share price. That's a 18% div. "increase" on its own. Thoughts? Are my deductions correct?
0 Kudos
jo_soap
Contributor
Surely there is a huge advantage to entities that are exempt from dividend withholding tax (such as pension funds) since before the company was paying STC (10%) and now nothing. (The dividend withholding tax paid over to SARS will be claimed back by the exempt pension fund). So people who invest primarily in pension funds gain 10% while individuals investing directly loose 5%? Am I right?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
This is redistribution of wealth on a grand scale. I can see my standard of living in retirement 27 years from now already dwindling. I hate living in this country. They want everyone to save, but taking the power from the individual on the streets hands and forcing us to invest in more pension funds (as opposed to self-investment in dividend driven shares), thus paying exuberant performance fees to every man and his dog in investment companies. Nice going you f$%^&rs.
0 Kudos