Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Dividend

Not applicable
Refresh my memory...do one still qualify for dividend, if you sell before LDT
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no, you have to be holding at close on ldt ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Does the share price normally fall after LDT?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
what is the reason for that Simon? I bought and held ASA for dividents and it has actually went up since LTD. Did the same for SHP (cautious bcos i think its overbought)but it didnt go down today. Am I skading on thin ice here?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi Simon I think what leads to the confusion amongst investors is: The record date to be recorded in the register to participate in the dividend distribution. From PNC results published this morning : LDT "cum" dividend 12 Nov Shares trade "ex" dividend 15 Nov. Record date 19 Nov. Div paid 22 Nov. What then is the purpose of having a LDT and a record date which is different by 5 days ?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the JSE works on T+5 .. so everything is recorded 5 days affter the event .. but the important date is the LDT ..

ex div stocks usually loose the div, yesterday with shoprite an others held their div on the back of a strong market .. this is not the norm ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Do they post the cheques or they directly deposit it in your account?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
direct deposit
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Njabulo, how are you doing with SHP... do you think these new highs will hold for longer? Or is it time to get out?
0 Kudos
Franksays
Frequent Contributor
Dont worry about when you need get out, set a trailing stoploss to lock in the upside if you feel uneasy. This way - if the price tanks, you are out with your profits intact - but you win. Nobody really knows what will happen.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Please don't shoot, I'm new. Where do you pick up on companies declaring dividends?
0 Kudos
MAGICIAN
Frequent Contributor
Go to Key Market Statistics on the left side and then look at Dividends Payable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks, bud. 2nd stupid question : how many days after LDT do you have to hold on to the shares to still qualify?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
as long as you were holding at the close on LDT you get the div .. when you bought or sell matters not ..
0 Kudos