Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Dividends

AS_1
Occasional Contributor
Can some please explain to me how does I calculate div on a share, look at eg.ABL they have declared div. ABL : "Ordinary shares of 2.5c each Interim No 17 25/05/2009 11/06/2009 22/06/2009 85.00" and on the same div. page also "ABLP : Preference shares of 1c each coupon rate of 69% of prime Final No 9 25/05/2009 11/06/2009 22/06/2009 475.00.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
rainbird
Occasional Contributor
It is usually the Dividend divided by the Share Price multiplied by 100 = the Percentage. Example; Div 119cents Share Price 2350cents would be 119/2350X100 = 5,06% To calculate the dividend return relative to your personal shareholding take the full Rand amount of the dividend and divide it by the total cost of the shares (including brokerage etc.) and multiply by 100. Using the above example lets say you bought 500 shares at 2535cents (price is now 2350)your original cost would have been R12,805.86 - brokerage, strate etc included. the dividend is 119cents per share so multiplied by 500 = R595.00 therefore; 595.00/12,805.86 X 100 = 4,65%........remember there may be two dividends during the year. Hope this helps
0 Kudos
AS_1
Occasional Contributor
Yes thanks, by Dividing the divided by the Share Price * by 100 will give me the Dividend Yield. But what i don't understand why are there two listing of divedend on the Dividend history tab for ABL ABL : Ordinary shares of 2.5c each = 85.00 and ABLP : Preference shares of 1c each coupon rate of 69% of prime Do i have to buy eg. ABL(100@2600) and ABLP(100@8550) to get these div. And what does it means "Ordinary shares of 2.5c each" and "Preference shares of 1c each coupon rate of 69% of prime". Thanks Archie
0 Kudos
samoa
Super Contributor
Shares bearing a fixed annual rate of dividend with a prior right over all ordinary shares in the distribution of dividends from annual profits; and a prior claim to repayment of capital on a winding-up of the company. Unless such shares are specifically defined as non-cumulative the company is liable for any arrears of preference dividends. Look it up under Help and Education
0 Kudos
rainbird
Occasional Contributor
Yes you have to pay the ruling price of the share as bought/sold on the JSE before 11 June to qualify for these respective dividends. The reference to "2,5c Ordinary Shares and 1c Preference Shares" is to identify which part of the Company's authosised/issued capital these dividends apply to.
0 Kudos
AS_1
Occasional Contributor
Why are there two listings for African Bank Investments Ltd : 1.African Bank Investments Ltd (ABIL) and 2.African Bank Investments Ltd (ABIL PREF)
0 Kudos
rainbird
Occasional Contributor
1. Is Ordinary Shares 2. Is Preference Shares .......They are both two entirely different types of Share Capital (but in the same Company) and therefore trade independently and at different prices.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi... The reason being that it is 2 different calsse sof shares...Ordinary shares can only receive div after preferens shares are declared and that div is determined by the coupon rate of that Pref share..... thus if the original pref shar was issued at 100cps with rate of 8%, then a pref div of 8cps must first be declared before an ordinary div can be declared
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Also...Look at the share that yuou bought...Is it Ordinary shares? then it is number of share you have times the div per share
0 Kudos