Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Do I take my profits and run or use a trailing stop loss

HungryPunter
Regular Contributor
Just thought to throw the question out there, LBH is almost at my profit target. I ussually take the profits, have a beer and then move on. This one might have leggs to it, if I decide to use a trailing stop loss rather than the usual beer, how would you advise I calculate the trailing stop loss?
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you have a plan ?? it works ?? why change it ??
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
make sure your trailing stop loss is on or close to market close, because the wicks on those candles are ugly.
0 Kudos
HungryPunter
Regular Contributor
Thank you for the comments then beer it is.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
the exit is always messy ...and at times painful, so need more than beer to drown the sorrow...the rules for exit must be about the same for the rules for the entry. Taking a small profit here and there and running will not make you rich.You have to ride out the trend...
0 Kudos
HungryPunter
Regular Contributor
I am making a profit, so the beer will be in celebration. You comment is valid. I will stay with the beer though, the share is about 200 away from my original exit strategy.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
great, but the trend is strong, why not ride.will be painful if this trend continues and you could exit at double your profit. I always, keep the last third in the trade at breakeven...
0 Kudos
Goldbull
Frequent Contributor
I don't use any stop losses I would have been cleaned out today with the drop in GLD. This little gem has increased by a 176% since I bought it in 2007.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
so when do you exit if the share is going in the opposite direction?
0 Kudos
HungryPunter
Regular Contributor
I just thought to moan a little. Here I am busy working in Botswana with all the confidence in the world, that I will be able to afford that cold beer I posted about a few days ago. It closed 6c away from the profit, why not just go that few cents and make a bloke happy? Ag but the market is always right, price is king and beer will always be there.
0 Kudos