Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Doctors Strike

raps
Frequent Contributor
Heres an idea...next time you have a medical problem why not just vist a priest and pray for divine intervention...pretty sure he wont be a vampire on strike
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I went to an emergency room on a weekend and it was quite an eye-opener. Those people have my best wishes because they take care of us when everything else doesn't. I certainly don't expect them to become superhuman & ignore their own needs just because they take that path in life. I know I couldn't do the job, never mind do it for nothing, never mind on a 140 hour week.
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
I sympathise with the doctors and hope they manage to get what they rightly deserve, if it means 200% increase, so be it! Look what a mp earns, most of those 'boxes' don't have any qualifications and we won't discuss there iq, integrity, loyalty, honesty etc. These guys work horrendous hours under worse conditions, pay them there due!
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Jackass,even those who are passionate about their jobs still have to make a decent living.Have you ever gone to your bank manager and said "I can't pay my bond but I really love my job,will that do for this month?" There is nothing wrong with changing your circumstances through strike action if it is justified.
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Jack your a real chop you know that.. just thought i would share that with you.
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
Our local Mayor, a qualified fork lift truck driver is paid a Government approved R500000 salary plus plus plus. Doctors at the local hospital do not earn a third of that. Doctors have been patient (excuse the pun) for too long. This Government had this coming and they are to blame for any repercussions not the Doctors.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Yip, if you had been put through hell after being misdiagnosed for 7 years. Always sick, pills for Africa, living in solitary, no parents, no family parents are working 2 and 3 jobs to pay medical bills, no life all because a DOCTOR made a mistake. Yip I suppose I am a chop. And tomorrow when I wake up I will still be a chop but I will still feel squat.
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
There are a lot of those stories, i have my own personal experience good and bad, but does not mean all doctors are bad,they have there reasons for doing what they are doing, dealing with the state is another story of which i also have experience and trying to get a point across after exhausting all avenues sometimes requires drastic action.To generally shoot them down without the facts i believe is wrong.so ya maybe you will remain a chop but if your only a lamb chop thats not all bad.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
I thought you were just against the strike,Jack.Now I see that you think all doctors are dogs,whether they are striking or not.I'm afraid I can't help you with that.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Doctors who work at Government hospitals need to be applauded at what they do. They deserve any improvments that they can get. They work overtime all the time and in most cases extremely trying conditions. the Gov should recognise them for what they do. They have my vote in this debate! I know for one, having recently had a serious operation, that I would have paid a lot more for what they did. A 50 years ago, I would have been a goner for sure.
0 Kudos
Copper
Regular Contributor
Guys..Thanks for the support. It is appreciated. Thank you. The department of health is truly a work of art. They went on the news last night an announced their new salary structure without even telling the bargaining commitee. They also DOCTORED THE FIGURES of the new increase and did not even mention the new taxation bracket. Essentially accountants worked out all these hidden inclusions to be a monthly increase of about 1 thousand rand!!!! It is unbelievable how they use the media as their lapdog to skew public opinion and try to TURN THE PUBLIC AGAINST DOCTORS. You cannot imagine the anger at a meeting of doctors this morning to the way the government and department of health has handled the problem. They truly are a DISGRACEFUL LOT!!! They are willing to bail out S#it institutions like SABC and SAA but dont even care about the welfare of the people...the health of the people. And most people on public health are black people(who are unbelievably grateful and sincere as patients). You cannot believe the fury in the fraternity against the department of health. This is war!!!!
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Hahahaha...now, now this is a democratically elected govt. - by the people, for the people!! Calling for war is an act of treason. Oh, the irony of the full circle...Simon, surely you can't allow the forum to be used for subversive means? Shouldn't politics be left off the forum? Let us only focus on trading and light banter. Ignorance is bliss....
0 Kudos
Copper
Regular Contributor
Topgun.. Please dont assume that my tirade in any way is an endorsement of your shamefully bigoted stance.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Doctored the figures-hehe!
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Pray tell, why the dept.of health should be any different to all the other dysfunctional depts of state and the institutions you mention? You seem to adopt quite a different stance relative to the one when the Eskom saga broke - a case perhaps of now that it is on your doorstep, you suddenly become vocal and catch a wake-up? Methinks some double standard is being applied here. Criticism is bigoted? Smell the coffee...and take a deep breath...nothing is going to change anytime soon and you will also become disillusioned...in time. Besides, your govt. is building world-class soccer stadiums - no money for healthcare infrastructure and equipment. A matter of priorities!
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
First English hooligan who gets taken to Bara after a brawl is going to raise hell :)
0 Kudos
Copper
Regular Contributor
Thank you for proving my point..Sometimes its better to be silent and be considered an idiot, than open ones mouth and remove all doubt..
0 Kudos