Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Does trading make you rich

Not applicable
We all know about Chartist, but have a look at a book called the Millionaire Next Door, where the author reasearched affluent people. He found it significant how few traders there were in the millionaire category. Most millionaires were long term investors. http://www.bizsum.com/articles/art_the-millionaire-next-door.php has a summation of the book. Search for "Investment" down the page.
0 Kudos
44 REPLIES 44
Shado
Contributor
what is your point exactely ?
0 Kudos
Shado
Contributor
what is your point exactely ?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well it seems that trading is no easy way to become affluent, seeing that there are very very very few millionaire or affluent traders out there. This flies in the face of all the "Trade forex online for a hobby and become rich" you see out there.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
surely nobody believes advertising ?? if trading your way to wealth was so easy, how come I see so many ford and toyota cars on the road ?? we should all be in limo's ??
0 Kudos
Shado
Contributor
it depends on your personal description of rich- In my case it is wealth creation, and I wll know when enough is enough to start enjoying
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I wonder why it is always the one against thet other...if trading work for you great, if long term investing works for you, you will only know when you retire ;-) So much time is spent on pointing the faults of trading or long term investing...rather focus on what you believe and feel in your heart you can do and better yourself in what you believe in, than waste time, in proving somebody else wrong...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I wonder why it is always the one against thet other...if trading work for you great, if long term investing works for you, you will only know when you retire ;-) So much time is spent on pointing the faults of trading or long term investing...rather focus on what you believe and feel in your heart you can do and better yourself in what you believe in, than waste time, in proving somebody else wrong...
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
The Millionaire Next Door is the broker who places your trades!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It seems from the book that if you're a full time trader (holding shares for a couple of days or less) then faded Toyotas and worn Nissans will be your probable lot in life as it seems that trading is way down on the list top money making careers. I also fall into the trading camp more than investing - it's just good to do a reality check every now and then.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
The trader you do, the broker you are.
0 Kudos
Farina
Contributor
anything done right and with a bit of good fortune can make u rich....I trade for more than ten years and dont drive an old toyota or nissan.......guess main problem is that many people think it's easy and quick money to be made with trading
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
Why not do both-invest for long term-trade for fun and pocket money. needs some discipline but can be done.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Needs discipline how many of us have that? Its far to much fun trading the adrenaline than using logic to invest long term ;-)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
From Millionaire Next Door: "The so-called active investor is one of the more difficult types of millionaires to find for interview purposes. He may be an ideal target market for stock brokers. He certainly spends considerable amounts for brokerage fees related to his trading. But he represents a very small minority of the millionare population. In fact, we have encountered more non-millionaire active traders than millionaires who actively trade. How can this be possible? Because it is very expensive to buy and sell, buy and sell, buy and sell one's equity holdings each day or week or month."
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Another way of looking at this: We've all heard the old expression "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer." Well - those who have the money - benefit from the opportunity to buy undervalued (often illiquid) assets and wait for them to mature. Those without the resources trade to achive greater exposure through acccelerated activity. They also pay to acquire leverage to make their meagre capital base more potent. This introduces timing risk (not a factor in the long-term.) Most of the decent "smaller" issues gave 1000% plus retuns from 2000 to 2007 (+dividends.) Traders were, of necessity, restricted to highly liquid counters that never offered anywhere near this return. So they had better have traded well to compensate.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
what nonsense...at my daughters school throw a stick and you will hit a trading millionaire....they called fund managers?asset managers and hedge fund managers...true it was not done with their own money but in that lies the rub, traders need to be very well funded so that possition size works well in their favour and most traders are significantly inderfunded...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Come on! Hedge fund and asset managers live off the commisions they make out of us. Same with brokers. From MilNxtDr: "We have always been interested in studying the wealth accumulation habits of stock brokers. Compared with the members of other industries, stock brokers earn high incoms. They have access to large amounts of research data. Also, they pay less than other people when they trade securities because they earn their own commissions."
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Agreed, but this fund, portfolio and hedge fund managers don't get rich from trading their own money. They get rich from excessive fees and bonuses in good stock market years. Pity, because they generally have to do less in those free ride years than in more challenging times like this year. It's a HUGE con, these fancy suits. Why the hell people think your successful if you drive an expensive car and wear fancy clothes is beyond me. All show, and very little substance. I have a friend that owns 8 properties, some business and some residential, all paid for and he drives an old bakkie and 90's BMW bike. Yes he owns a few vintage bikes and a vintage car or two, but just looking at him, you'll never know he's wealthy. How did he do it - property over 25 years. He lived well under he's means and invested over a long term period and that's really it. As soon as you have property paying off more property you're well and away. The time it takes to pay off bonds get shorter and shorter. He's now in a position to add a new property every 3 years, and it's getting shorter. Simple and effective. You need two things to achieve this patience and dicipline, much like investing.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Kwagga you've just summed up the whole idea of the book. Your friend is a "prodigious accumulator of wealth", as opposed to the high rollers with a good income and absolutely no net worth (if you exclude the value of their primary residence).
0 Kudos