Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Doggy Broker from Sun World Wide

Hedgehog
Frequent Contributor
Hi Simon and forumites - A broker from Tokyo called me and my friend on separate occasions to invest in Sinovac, $ 80 000. He was extremely persistent and manipulative and I started to understand how investers are conned into deals. We sent and email to Sun World Wide trying to verify the authenticity of this broker but did not get a reply. Now, he may be legitimate, so if anybody has been called, please share the information with us. If he is not legitimate this is a serious scam. He says he has priviledged information that Sinovac shares are going to go from $8.63 to $18.19 and he is very persuasive. Be aware
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Not applicable
Isn't that "secretive" information considered insider trading?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
if he is legitimate why is he calling you from toyoko ?? they got nobody left in japan ?? it is a scam, always is ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
doggy broker? selling canines or dodgy broker selling scams? lol
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
he is a broker....of course he is dodgy
0 Kudos
Hedgehog
Frequent Contributor
He is a Doggy! YOu should hear him bark
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It is his preferred style
0 Kudos
Mr_Money
Regular Contributor
Anybody that RUSHES you into investments and asks you to act/invest now , is dodgy
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
ja just got the call as well - put the phone down - maybe they phone back who knows.
0 Kudos
og
Frequent Contributor
I got a similar call (probably from the same oke who had a distinctly English accent) about 6 months ago punting Archer Daniels Midland (ADM). He told me that he had inside info that this stock was going to increase 40% over the next 3 months and he wanted me to take a position in it (he was offering me 2,000 shares at $US26 i.e. $52,000) and I need not pay in the money now - only upon electronic receipt of the share transaction (yeah right!!!). He was very persistent and got a bit irritated with me when I told him that I was not going to make a decision after a 30 min phonecall and I was not keen to expose myself to stock price as well as currency fluctuations. Nevertheless, ADM is currently trading at US$32 (23% up) BUT the exchange rate is down >25%
0 Kudos
mehroon
Frequent Contributor
Where do they get our phone numbers from?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Most probably from your dodgy service provider? Or some dodgy person working at your service provider.
0 Kudos