Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Doller fall against the rand

Pauldelmas
Contributor
If the dollar falls against the rand what will be the best shares to look at. I believe PAM, BHP, MTN look good
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Absolutely not! If that were to happen - you would have to look at companies reliant on imports.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I'm buying R/$ currency futures since there's less guessing. Not much, and slowly so if there's a 10% drop I can add to it. Also, I don't know what the heck I'm doing so very little reason to get too aggressive.
0 Kudos
Pauldelmas
Contributor
What would you say meet your best purchase options. I am doing well with PAM
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So let me see if I follow your logic, if the dollar weakens, you would advocate buying stocks that earn their income in dollars?
0 Kudos
Pauldelmas
Contributor
Yes what will be the best shares to buy if the dollar weakens against the rand. Remember someone who import will get it at a better price and can sell it at a better price -so they are not going to make money. Which shares will benefit and make money on the long run.
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
Best in this case is SASOL and ILOVO!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
OK, let me reiterate my confusion here - you are banking on the dollar weakening, and you are banking on companies earning their income in dollars (MTN, BHP, et al) making more money now - because what ... they are earning more dollars to counter the depreciation? STill not following your logic here
0 Kudos