Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Dow / SandP / JSE retreat

Ninja
Super Contributor
Markets moving backwards off key resistance as consumer confidence data in the US comes out worse than expected. Dow is seeing the start of rotation out of risk and into safety which means we will in all likelyhood see a correction into the end of this week and potentially next week. Dollar should strengthen.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Not applicable
and the correction will be more than expected. Although it may take the market a while to get there
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
Wait for GDP to come out of US on Friday. It is going to be worse than expected.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
how do you know that ? bernanke slipped you the numbers early ?? don't trade your bias, trade the price :)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
They set the expectations below the actual..They dont want anything to affect the markets..External forces influencing the "free-market"...watch the dow for a while now.It opens low,with an hour to go to the close a spike happens an magic it closes flat or even in the green.Now compare that daily market chart to the FTSE/CAC/JSE...We dont have the "magic"..I know that the conspiracy theories are a plenty..I am beginning to start believing sum of them..Is this rally another pump and dump by the investment banks in the US,because if fundementals were used the DOW was supposed to be around the mid 7000's not where it is now??Who is the biggest beneficiary of the crises?? Goldman with that record profit last quarter,they know that for as long as the market remains volatile,they will be cracking massive profits..IMO..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
(The parallels between the 2007 market top and today's investment environment are eerily similar. Emerging markets outperformed U.S. stocks by 30% then and do so again today. Credit is being pumped in the system and China's economy seems to be the key to new prosperity. According to history and many other indicators, your portfolio is in serious danger. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." Yet another chapter of the love-hate relationship saga between investors and the stock market is about to be concluded . and it won't end with "they lived happily ever after." Investors, obviously, are forgiving people. Within a period of 18 months, the S&P 500 (SNP: ^GSPC), Dow Jones (DJI: ^DJI) and Nasdaq (Nasdaq: ^IXIC) reduced investors' portfolios by over 50%. At that point, most hated the market. After showing some good will for a comparatively short five months (March - July 2009), investors are once again falling in love with the stock market. Like a crafty mistress, the market has investors wrapped around her finger. As far as relationships go, the market's recent shenanigans compare to making up for an act of infidelity with a bar of chocolate, a gross imbalance. But it doesn't stop here. Investors are starting to fall for the same tricks that shaved 50% off their wealth last time . "fool me twice, shame on me.")"Simon Maierhofer
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
as does yonatan rom .. I chatted to him last night, audio at http://tinyurl.com/ncpnp9 ..
0 Kudos
Surf_Rat
Super Contributor
Hey mate thats the fun in playing this game trying to find out who is the conductor and what tune his playing then taking out your drums mate and bash to the same tune so we win some and get pain from sum , gold mate GLD bank it its like my new epoxy board less likely to get dinged in the shore break mate
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yep, firstly trying to predict the numbers is the first gamble, then trying to predict how the market is going to react is the second (and bigger) gamble. Much better to ride the wave than to try and preempt the direction of hte tide
0 Kudos