Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Dow hits 52 weeks high

sponono
Super Contributor
12878.88 I will put this in my pipe and not smoke it.
0 Kudos
30 REPLIES 30
Rams
Super Contributor
ALSBADTRADER(ABT) must be dehydrating right now...whats your overnight short looking like ABT...yeah, i know, you will take profit at the open as usual, but right now the DOW is up and you must be really dehydrated!You should have left when you thought it was time. Hint: dont take overnight positions on the ALSI if your emotions are getting in the way of your trading!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yes it was inevitable that my correct analysis of the short action yesterday would cause this reaction...No overnight positions just profit from the 300 point short...but.. if you have some evidence to the contrary i would like to hear it
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nasdaq at some 11 year high, but still miles away from the all time high ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Nasdaq is tech heavy, so heavily skewed by the dot.com bubble. I would go so far as to say that this top is far more significant and sustainable, given that intrinsic value is far more realistic. Interesting enough is that the FTSE never really recovered from 1998 highs
0 Kudos
Not applicable
skapptjop...you have apple the biggest cap share in the world making up large part of Nasdaq and it has gotten huge boost from this...Tech has led the recovery but Nadaq not making new highs. The dow is led by the small cap Russel and the Dow transportation...without confirmation from them you have a very fragile new high...
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Apple's weighting on the Nasdaq was reduced by 40% last year.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
its still the biggest cap share in the world
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Not saying we aren't due for a pullback - but I see no reason to cash in my investments right now. My stock trading strategy calls for me to start taking profits on my weaker stocks, and hang on to the winners. P.S. - for the gap closers - it aint gonna!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
your poor track record now makes trading the gap highly compelling...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
continuing to insult your target customers I see, let me know how that marketing strategy is working for you?
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
Skaap dont worry about Alsi(Bravado)trader. he answers every post but really says nothing. was watching Garth McKenzie (by the way he is a real trader, his trades are transparent he does not tell you what he has done after the move is over like Alsi(Bravado) trader) and he says he is getting a lot of emails from traders who are short strong stocks and are piling up the losses. Alsi(Bravado)trader dont answer this post until the TOPI is trading below 29,200 PLEASE. Infact dont make any posts at all.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Sure but its effect on raising the Nasdaq is reduced, which is what you guys were talking about. Apple has to double its valuation to have the same effect as before last year's change. If it looks like it's singlehandedly going to push the market to the dot-com highs they'll likely reduce the factor again.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yes point absolutely taken...but if we want to play economist economist for a bit then one needs to ask ...compare the tech industry now to then,,,surely the value add is enoremously greater than then?...just a thought not anything which should influence trading decisions..
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
To be honest, there was very little value in the tech bubble. It was techies and MBA's gaming the market totally, so all those values (at, like 100 PE) meant nothing, and therefore the Nasdaq high meant nothing. I'd say what is out there now has a closer relationship to actual 'value', so it'll take longer to hit those highs.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya dotcom was all bubble, smoke and mirrors .. DDT hit R70 and over a decade later delisted at 1306c ..
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
so we are all agreed then ...great.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
skapie..if you have to know its working just fine...the chat room is way way oversubscribed...it not a jerk off club where we all have to agree ...we encourage disgreement and different views... ....maybe you should stick to your knitting (if you will excuse the metaphor)...which it seems is making cutesy metaphors...what was the one you came up wth the other day?...oh yes omething about enough egg on your face to make a souffle?...the gap is now effectively closed... enjoy your souffle!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
oh that would be fantastic!...please listen to this man he talks sense. Hows that pipe you smoking? I would check whats in there if i were you. I am in regular contact with Garth...you misquote him...he was talking about pairs trades ...nothing to do with the index..absolutely nothing...in fact he has a strike put option for the alsi of below 29500...at least get the simple facts right man!
0 Kudos