Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Drastic change in SSF pricing compared to underlying?

BAP
Regular Contributor
Simon or other SSF fundi. Apologies if a FAQ but how can a June future price have a margin change of around R222 (SOL) compared to the underlying price within a day or two? Sentiment or what? Bring a course to Namibia then I'll stop asking questions.
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
I emailed OST two days ago with a similar query regarding OML SSFs and havn't gotten a response yet. The SSF price reduced, what happens to the difference?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
safex imoplimented a margin change ..
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
When this happens and the value of your SSFs get reduced, what happens to the difference? Is it lost or is it recovered somewhere else?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nah, now we talking about different things I think .. margin is the money you put with safex, this is returned when you close the position ..
0 Kudos
BAP
Regular Contributor
Simon. Not sure if you've answered my SOLQ-Jun09 question. Short it at Underlying 29100 and SSF 29278 (ok - stupid move, but I'm used to that). Stop loss a bit tight at 29800 but it's around 10% of my input (incl. transaction costs. Kick in at underlying of 29278 which means underlying changed only 0.61% but SSF by 1.36%??
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
That the 'hidden' costs my friend... nothing for nothing
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
two things nailed you .. firstly remember the in/out cost of 0.8% of the underlying priced into the SSF price and then the spread hurts as you have to cross it .. basically your stop was too tight ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, What commission % does SBK levy and what is the stock borrowing fee on the shorts equation.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, What commission % does SBK levy and what is the stock borrowing fee on the shorts equation.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
we charge 0.4% the value of the underlying on both buy and sell and interest built into the SSF price .. R60 +vat per trade ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Understand that interest is built into the price. Is the i in the formula = prime and the s = money market rate??
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos