Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Drop through stop loss - options available?

BAP
Regular Contributor
What options do I have when my CFD triggered but dropped through my minimum price? Will it sell when the share rebounds? Do I have an opportunity to cancel at this stage? Contemplating the old mistake of rather averaging down...
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an if it doesn't come back ?? your stop loss has triggered, now exit ..
0 Kudos
BAP
Regular Contributor
Hi Simon - Sort of expected that response and appreciated, but what if it now starts going up from a lower level at quite a good rate and I don't want to sell on the up? Surely if one misses a stop on the downside it could be somewhat stupid to have the old, triggered, sale when the price starts rising again?
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
Definition of 'Stop-Loss Order' An order placed with a broker to sell a security when it reaches a certain price. A stop-loss order is designed to limit an investor's loss on a security position. Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/stop-lossorder.asp#ixzz1oKfXwbCl Rule number 1 from Garth McKenzie 1. Failure to cut losses: Pride, ego, or stubbornness prevents the trader from selling.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
its real simple, stop loss trigger, get out
0 Kudos
Not applicable
BAP - you traded a specific strategy - it went against you, so get out. If the stock moves back up again - well that becomes a separate trade - nothing stopping you from buying again, providing it fits into your trading strategy is all
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Are you asking whether the stop will trigger again if the price rises back to your original point? That answer is no. You will need to set a stop again at whatever figure you decide.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
I agree, get out of the trade. I put in a very wide limit price from the trigger price, so when the market goes thru the trigger, the the wider limit price will stop me out, so no thinking required or manual input required.
0 Kudos