Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

EMA, SMA, WMA

Not applicable
Plz can someone explain to me how to use these tools and what is the difference between them. I have been looking at the price charts and have seen a trend when the red crosses the green and when green crosses the red. thanks
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you seen a trend, what else matters ?? now trade it ..
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
I am glad we still have you on board Simon, to keep us honest and focused. TTP.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yes thank you Simon. I ask because I see a diffence when using each one, therefore I ask, so that I can choose which one to use. The trends point to the same, the difference is in the timing of when to enter the trade.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
wikipedia it.-different ways to illustrate trend. some take account of recent data more
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
The moving average is the most commonly used technical indicator in the world; this is often used in conjunction with other indicators. To calculate a moving average on a data stream (such as a series of daily share prices), it is necessary first to decide on its period. The shorter the period the more sensitive the signals. The EMA and WMA are just fine tuning of the MA I guess. Simon's Lazy system uses the EMA if I am not mistaken.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
on that point do you know what the smoothing factor is for ema on OSt?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ah ok. thanks. I didn't know the MA stands for moving average. I also discovered investopedia on google. Good to use for beginners like me. Thanks again
0 Kudos
GarethJ
Regular Contributor
I just always make sure I use the same one. When you start picking through different indicators to get closer to the outcome you "want to see" then you're asking for trouble...
0 Kudos