Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Easy Trader

Chanan
Occasional Contributor
I have been trading the ALSI index futures on Easytrader. Were up 20% after 3 weeks. Then the trouble starts. Limit orders jumped a couple of times. Easytrader freezes at critical points, just before entry points or just before a deal must be closed for about minute or so. Today had the Easytrader graphs working but the homepage stuck again at a crutial point where I had to close a deal. Giving a timeout error. The order was eventially placed when the homepage went live again(other website pages from other companiea working fine at the same time)but it was not executed. Had to cancel the order first then enter a new order 100points later against me. There is just to many of these incidents at critical points to be coincident. Someone having the same sort of trouble. Thanks.
0 Kudos
26 REPLIES 26
Skerp
Contributor
Terribly frustating, have experienced similar situations on another platform as well, seems prevalent when high volumes are cranking through. All is fair in love and war!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I FEEL UR PAIN,SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME.SO FUSTRATING
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
I see you write BIG too!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Same problems here. Very frustrating and most annoying.
0 Kudos
Chanan
Occasional Contributor
Is there any Market Making on the ALSI Index Future Dec11
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Chanan
Occasional Contributor
Someone replied that all is fair in love and war. I have learned this statement is absolutely true. I am in stock trading for 17years now and in forex for 7years. In any business one has to do some risk management and especially those that you cannot foresee. Internet, website, phone downtimes is part thereof. Even some manipulation but that you can learn to observe through experience. That is why I asked if there is Market Making involve. The problem I face is that the count of these risk occurrences over a 7 week period of trading the ALSI is just to high. I tried to get some answers as to what is the average count of these occurrences on the ALSI through SBank without any success. I have established a fairly good risk profile over the 7 years of trading forex on a platform when it comes to problems related to the specific platform I am using as well as the internet service provider I am using. The count of problems over this 7week period trading the ALSI on Easytrader outnumber the worst case scenario of my risk profile of 7years in forex by far. I have also experienced a Saffex downtime in this 7weeks where I could do nothing. Not even close the trade. I could not establish with SBank how many times this has occurred lets say in one year. All they say is I must take it up with the JSE. It is thus very difficult to establish an unforeseen risk profile unless I take the worst case scenario that downtime can be for a whole day plus at least the opening of the next day which can result in about 1000 points. That is a 30% risk on one occurrence. Therefore I need advice from the forum people involved in Easytrader to supply me with some information as to your own experience. On a one year basis what would you say is the once off worst case scenario for the year in terms of points and on a monthly basis what would you say is the monthly average slippage based upon the problems as outlined above. I am not talking about own mistakes, I am talking system problems. On a lighter note, I even had to include some slippage in my risk profile due to mother nature calling and I had to leave a position unattended but with a stoploss in place. I had some losses in the 7 years due to that position just not reaching the target and then turned to take out my stop in the 7-8 minutes I was away. I could not learn to do it any faster. Still working on that one. Can you please assist me with this request. Thanks.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
SAFEX has been down 4 or 5 times this year ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'm not surprised there was slippage if you missed the target..:)
0 Kudos
Chanan
Occasional Contributor
Thanks. What was the downtime average more or less in minutes, hours etc. Thanks. Phillip
0 Kudos
Chanan
Occasional Contributor
You are right. Learned to make sure I strike the target before getting up from the seat to early. Otherwise there is some slippage.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
maybe an hour at most ..
0 Kudos
Chanan
Occasional Contributor
It looks like I am not going to get some info. It might be that you dont trade the ALSI index future. But if you are using Easytrader to trade other vehicles can you give me an idea as to how many times per month you had downtimes and how long more or less per occasion. I only want to built in some sort of provision for risk that I can put a quantity to it in terms of rand. I now know what I can make per month on one contract but I need to know a bit more about the unforeseen risk. Was what I have experienced the last 7 weeks normal or abnormal. Thanks. Phillip
0 Kudos
Kabeer
New Contributor
EasyTrader is VERY unreliable. But for the price, it is the best you can expect.
0 Kudos
Chanan
Occasional Contributor
I have given myself 2 months or R10 000 in the red whichever comes first to test Easytrader to see how reliable it is. It ended today with a breakeven result after about 180 trades going to R6000 gain and back to breakeven. Today I had again 3 times where the platform freezes at crucial points resulting in me not closing trades and could not reverse the deal. If I am short one contract and want to close the deal going long 2 contracts so that I end up with one contract long has happened the most times resulting in the open deal not closed. I am very dissapointed as the spread realy makes it worth while. What is of interest for me is that it has not freeze once in 2 months when I wanted to open a position. All the times it freezes was when I want to close a trade and especially one that has gone against me and are close to support or resistance. I must say that I am using a scalping strategy going for 20-50 points at a time. I have traded today from a server that is mapping the internet connection and it was not dropped once. Amazing that Easytrader freezed 3 times while the SB home page was all going well at the same time.I am not writing this to put anybody in a bad light but just to warn some prospect users as to the possibility of an unstable platform at some crucial points. If you are using a longer timeframe strategy with a larger stoploss you might avoid this unstability. Phillip
0 Kudos
Not applicable
you must be new to this ?? Right
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
I think you are right Hennie
0 Kudos
Chanan
Occasional Contributor
Hi. No I am not new to trading but new to Easytrader and ALSI Index Futures. Type in Phillip Nel MACD in Google and see for yourself. The whole episode was to test the reliability of the platform before trading it for an additional income. Therefor the huge amount of trades. I did test it under all types of conditions and unfortuanately it did not pass the test under intraday trading. I will however look into an end of day strategy but then I will be using the SB normal way of entry.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Phillip ... Try DWT.co.za but still if safex is down all future platform's will be down ( Alsi )
0 Kudos