Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Easy business on Internet without a credit card

Not applicable
seems that one can have a lot of difficulty buying or selling over the Internet without a credit card. If PayPal is used to pay into a debit card there are problems if one does not have a secure code and after talking to two banks it appears that South African banks do not have a secure code for debit cards. When I went to the Maestro site (you could have a Maestro emblem on your bank card) it says that various banks will provide a secure code and that more banks are joining up. I am hoping bank managers will hear about this and go to the site http://www.maestrocard.com/uk/security/securecode.html to see that it might be possible for South African banks to offer secure codes with debit cards so South Africans can easily conduct business on the Internet without having a credit card.
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Apprantly, the reserve bank doesn't want you ordering via paypal.
0 Kudos
eddy66
Super Contributor
When I was in the state last year I opened a BOA account and there after a paypal account using my debit card.It took me about 25min and it was setup and working.Took my brother I don't know how many days over here.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I have to do business via paypal as i have uploaded music tracks onto http://www.boostindependentmusic.com/artist/Swayseeker and boost works via paypal, so i am in process of gettin a current acc card with a secure code which paypal needs
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
For how long were you in the states?
0 Kudos
eddy66
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
You can pay fine with Paypal, the problem is getting paid by them. Same with Google's payments, same with Amazon's. I take CC payments online and use a payment processor for it, which took no time to set up. They do a wire transfer into my account and my bank converts from dollars.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Can one open an account online from SA?
0 Kudos
eddy66
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
fusion12321
Frequent Contributor
hi richardw. how do u set up the payment processor?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
one can go to https://www.paypal.com/ and open up an acc. easiest with mastercard, visa etc to join paypal
0 Kudos
dust
Occasional Contributor
You can open the account from anywhere they will first verify your credit or debit card and then open your account that take a few days just one tip always use that debit or credit card to pay money on your paypal if not its a lot of hazels /// also some suppliers just send stuff to your registered address on paypal
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
It'll differ with the specific processor and that could depend on the type of business you have and the volume you expect. Google "online payment setup" and you'll see many options. I use fastspring.com - their service is very good and they handle a lot of the complexity of taking payments in many currencies (EU & vat, say), handling fraud, etc.
0 Kudos
fusion12321
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos