Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Education

juggie
Contributor
Share trading has always interested me,now I have an account,so where does one start??Please advise,thanks
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
:-) :-) Do not start with less than R10 000. omo.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
start slow and start with education (check out the menu link on the left). Do not start trading (as apposed to investing), do not start with derivatives or penny stocks. Start with boring stuff like blue chips. Do not expect to be rich quick, this is a process. All the best.
0 Kudos
Wumpus
Frequent Contributor
Simon's advice above is perhaps the most important you'll ever hear as a first time trader. The irony is, is that you won't listen (nobody does - or at least, very few). You'll waste away your first portfolio and will come back (maybe) wiser and follow his advice the second time... Humans... no wonder we're called the "mensdom" in afrikaans... we are damn stupid!!
0 Kudos
surfer
Regular Contributor
new people involved into the stock markets normally only see quick money.Remind me of estate agents except estate agents do it as their job
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Start by going to one of Simon's courses. At the very least he'll show you how NOT to loose all your money all at once.
0 Kudos
duke_vest
Frequent Contributor
what is considered a good or avg anual return on one's investment in percentage for an amateur first year trader
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Hi duke for what it is worth i trade part time but try to aim for 2% - 3% pm(24 to 36% p. a.)whether that is good/average i do not know.
0 Kudos
duke_vest
Frequent Contributor
yeah i do about the same. reached my 30% target within 2 months. and have taken a bit of a gamble on a specific share. down by about 50% at the moment. if i ever manage to break even again i should be back to 30% target. a bit of give and take i suppose. kicking myself for not waiting longer on this share to bottom out. couldve been in a much better position now.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Warren Buffet has made a compounded return of 23% a year for 50-60 years, and he is the worlds best investor.
0 Kudos
duke_vest
Frequent Contributor
yeah i know. don't want to get my targets set too high. also been experimenting with different shares. i'm still very new at the game and have alot to learn. i think a person needs to feel out the high risks and the low risks and find a sweet spot somewhere inbetween. i've already made some major boo-boos and have fortunately made comebacks on all except one thusfar. chewing abit hard on the one though.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
MMm, I had one of those, and cut it loose at -20% like Simon taught me. Thanks Simon. Is Warren's portfolio record across all his assets, or just his shares?
0 Kudos