Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Effect of electricity price increase on MRF

Not applicable
Ferrochrome production is essentially a carbothermic reduction operation taking place at high temperatures. Cr Ore (an oxide of chromium and iron) is reduced by coal and coke to form the iron-chromium alloy. The heat for this reaction can come from several forms, but typically from the electric arc formed between the tips of the electrodes in the bottom of the furnace and the furnace hearth. This arc creates temperatures of about 2800°C. In the process of smelting, huge amounts of electricity are consumed making production in countries with high power charges very costly. - source wikipedia. I'm sure this share price will be affected by the dramatic increase of cost electricity. Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Galuc
Super Contributor
Exxaro has just shelved ferro magnesium extraction furnaces in Meyerton due to lack of electricity, building them in Aus, figure that out!
0 Kudos
Andrew1
Visitor
Can you confirm where you got the information about Exxaro shelving the building of Smelters in Meyerton, as I would be interested to find out more. Thanks
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Has the tariff increase been decided/approved yet?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Not sure, but I hope MRF has a similar agreement with Eskom to that of BHP, where the price of electricity is guaranteed for a certain period e.g 3 years, therefore no effect on the cost of production for now.
0 Kudos