Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Engineers in Financial Institutions

Not applicable
Does anyone know of any Financial Institutions that are recruiting graduate Engineers (Electrical) from University?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
kwagga
Super Contributor
You're going to have to find out from these institutions about junior analyst job availability. Get a list off the JSE website of financial institutions trading on the JSE and phone numbers. Generally only the bigger guys employ analysts, seeing that they are well paid and only affordable to the bigger guys. I know the following companies have got analyst divisions - Citibank, Deutsche bank, BOE, UBS, HSBC, ABN AMRO, the big four local banks, Kagiso securites. Some of these banks have off shore teams sitting in head office doing reseach worldwide. Don't know how often electrical Engineers get's into alalyst jobs though. Usually they go for the chemical, industrial, civil, metallurgical engineers and the CA's off course. They usually also just pick the top their class guys. Very competitive environment this due to the vast sums of money top rated analysts earn - yes, we're talking about millions per annum. I know a guy that was the top rated analyst in the insurance sector in the late nineties. His base salary was 720k, and that excluded bonuses of 100% + annual salary. I would hate to think what top analists earn 15 year down the line.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thank you sooo Kwagga i will be doing so(contacting the JSE big listed co's) for my first attempt..once again thank you sooo much
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thank you sooo Kwagga i will be doing so(contacting the JSE big listed co's) for my first attempt..once again thank you sooo much
0 Kudos
DrBr
Occasional Contributor
Usually easier for Electrical and Electronic engineers to get into the IT departments of these financial organisations than the analyst areas. Try some of the recruitment agencies that recruits IT resources for these organisations as well, and be clear on what you are looking for.
0 Kudos
DrBr
Occasional Contributor
Usually easier for Electrical and Electronic engineers to get into the IT departments of these financial organisations than the analyst areas. Try some of the recruitment agencies that recruits IT resources for these organisations as well, and be clear on what you are looking for.
0 Kudos
DrBr
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Best bet is to go for the graduate programmes at your big internationals in JHB : Goldman, Merrills, Citi etc. Also try RMB and SBG on the local side. These open around June. Highly competitive, but highly rewarding if you get through it and are taken on as an analyst.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the trading floors are full or engineers ,, but most engineers earn more as an engineer then as a trader/fund manager etc.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Trading, anyone can do. Analysis, very few can do properly, and the salary reflects this fact.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Also, how good are you in selling your analysis. It's like research, give the results to the stats guy, tell him what outcome you want, and he can statisticsally show your bias....so I don't bother with analysis
0 Kudos
surfer
Regular Contributor
my question is do these Analyst add value.All they really doing is giving sales talk to the sales trader!
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
They add value to the bottom line of the companies they work for. You won't be paying a top rated analyst a R 8 mil+ sign on bonus if they don't add value, will you ?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
there some confusion regarding analysing a company and analysing share price...BAIN got paid R80 million (excluding VAt, flights , expenses) to to analyse TELKOM...(and they did not see a problem with the CFO helping himself to a loan for R6 million)...in effect BAIN got paid more than what TKG made in after tax profits...Now the analyst , coming in on national TV, analysing TKG share price, what did he get paid ...BAIN and the CFO came out ok...
0 Kudos