Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Equal playing field

Not applicable
I would like to know if any of you traders have had the same experience. Last week i placed a sale of some stock and at day end found out of the 20,000 units some egg head had purchased 10 @ R1.42 this didn't cover trading costs.Today again i placed the same stock in the market and someone purchased 1 @ R1.42. I would like to know if we try these moves SEQ cancels our orders and says it market fixing what are your views
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Big_Bucks
Super Contributor
That means they paid R51.42 for one share valued @ R1.42.... well I guess nothing's impossible in this game.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
They may have bought lots all day so it may not necessarily mean that he paid full brokerage on 1 share. May have bought 1 @ your asking hoping that you'd see that and bring down your price. He might have bought 101 and got the 100 from the previous seller and only 1 from you. I'm pretty sure most of us have had this from time to time. it doesn't necessarily mean price fixing and you can do it too when you are buying or selling cos you pay one brokerage no matter how many trades as long as they are the same share, same day and in the same direction.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
What i have notice is that traders do this alot at support and resistance level to push the share price above or below the levels if they are ether long or short on a stock OMO
0 Kudos
duke_vest
Frequent Contributor
i had the same experience. pushes average buying cost up. they should set a limit for a minimum purchase value at least to cover the brokerge fees at approx. 1.09% of purchase value. my penny's worth anyway
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
I think thats part of the beauty of trading SSF cant sell half a contract, sell/buy one contract brokerage R70 sell/buy 20 contracts brokerage still R 70 . Great Stuff!
0 Kudos
CrownA
Super Contributor
In the good old days you could only trade in lots of 100, and if you wanted to trade less, then you got a odd-lot fee added. Maybe they knew something in the old days??? Yeah I agree there are people trading 1 share to test the price, this can also trigger stop loss orders and all sorts of things.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
transactions. When you get the sms about a sale/purchase check to see the quantity and decide if you want to adjust the price to complete the transaction in one day.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Guys , do not read much into these 1 stock. Few reason why trader do it. 1. To stimulate trading interest in that stock 2. To activate possible stock losses Traders have sweeping account and at the end of the day, they merely offset these transcation.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
In Oz trading the ASX they will not accept a trade less than $500 which sorts this tampering out, if your trade is not closed out on the day they will keep it open (eg a couple of days)till all stock is sold or purchased for one trading cost. Maybe the JSE should have a rethink on their system and sort the childs play out
0 Kudos