Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Eskom power cuts

Not applicable
Hmm - are we reaching close to 2007 peak production levels I wonder ?
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
Blik
Super Contributor
I see load shedding announced, but it would be nice to find out when we will be affected....although I cant imagine load shedding Grahamstown is going to help much at all
0 Kudos
Oom_Boom
Frequent Contributor
WIshfull thinking that we have reached 2007 production levels, it is a case of wet coal (again) from all the rain they had down in MP.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Nah, it is only the rain....and before 1994 we never had that...rain of course. http://www.fin24.com/Economy/Three-reasons-for-Eskom-power-cuts-20140306-2
0 Kudos
magicactus
Frequent Contributor
Grahamstown experiences impromtu loadshedding on a regular basis, Blik
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Yip - you be spot on there for sure.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
before 94 we didn't have an economy
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
The platinum mines are on strike / closed and still... I wonder how much power is being stolen... Where is Medupi, Kusile? What about the recommissioning stories?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
mines are closed but they are still smelting as they store above ground in case of strike to ensure continued supply..
medupi is expected year end,
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
AIRCONS are off - refining is increasingly being done in Europe. Medupi has been due for ages. I'll believe it when I see it. Insanely over budget too. What happens with Winter power demand and mines back in full swing and ({lol} the increase industry due to the weaker Rand? I fear the worst. Need to look at improving the generator...
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
I am close to Grahamstown. We just had a 50 minute outage. Whether it was official loadshedding or yet another cut is unknown.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
The myopia is funny. At this rate of mismanagement/incompetence/interference we may just accomplish that...unless a debt-funded, consumption driven market without any meaningful manufacturing base and an increasingly beleaguered mining sector is called an "economy"? SA seems utterly incapable of even bringing a relatively low-technology coalfired power station to production. The result is neatly encapsulated in the deficits, rising debt, weakening currency...
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Mining does not occupy a significant percentage of GDP. Your argument also describe the American economy.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Haven't received any reports! Lol, maybe we should do it more often then or permanently?...http://www.fin24.com/Economy/No-financial-impact-of-power-cuts-govt-20140306
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Interesting fact, dry coal cannot burn, it must be wet, that is why they put it in heaps to prevent it from drying out completely. So that excuse does not hold. Logistics badly organized and Escom wasting money on parties, top management salaries and at one time they gave billions away to small enterprises with out monitoring it. All has been ferreted away and housing loans the are envy of all other enterprises. Not enough spares are kept and bad planning for maintenence etc..
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
its more a demand issue...back in the days, you needed electricity for just a few million and there was not much in the way of industrial use ...i agree there are issues like corruption, lack of expertise and the like, and supply has not kept pace with demand...
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Ho hum, just another parastatal disaster sabotaged by incompetent commie cadres - http://www.moneyweb.co.za/moneyweb-soapbox/eskoms-chickens-coming-home-to-roost
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
So - with all the extra revenue from this expanded economy - there has been no increase I npower production. Spare me.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Well, I just hope that your stock of cheap toasters does not explode with the load shedding....
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Don't worry - I'll always keep one spare for you.
0 Kudos