Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Eskom

Not applicable
Gold companies cancelling some shifts due to power problems,isnt that just great.As if they didnt have enough problems already.
0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
Wizard
Super Contributor
Lets ask uncle Rof what's happening...This should be an excelent buying opportunity ones again! When will his laptop stop working...
0 Kudos
patch1
Contributor
should eskom and the goverment not be held responsible for the losses that occure due to no power. We get nailed penalties like reconnection fees, interest etc. if we dont pay
0 Kudos
Not applicable
We don't know whats next,may be JSE will have no power some day.I wonder what might happen to world market if USA can have same power problems like RSA.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
now, now, the deputy president has apologised for her incompetence and lack of foresight in her previous portfolio...surely this is good enough compensation even if half the country is shut down? If the bread price is manipulated, somebody gets fired. We should not, however, expect the same if a lameduck government and its parastatal are involved - the termination agreements and golden handshakes will be just too onerous...and bread is more important than electricity any way.
0 Kudos
CAPITALIST_RUNN
Frequent Contributor
no electricity and TBS can't bake bread - no-one then has to pay more - can't even eat cake like the French Queen said!
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Eskom running out of coal? 25/01/2008 14:14 - (SA) Brendan Ryan Johannesburg - Eskom's action in halting power to the mining industry follows on three days of speculation the utility was running short of coal to feed its power stations. http://www.news24.com/News24/AnanziArticle/0,,1518-25_2258604,00.html ah, the latest excuse, I wonder who decided to run down the stockpiles from 20 days previously to 3 days - and then the rain came. Come to think of it, Eskom sounds more and more like our favourite pennystock - IMU.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
What are my fellow forumites views on the reportedly R50 Mill paid in bonuses to Escom's top brass?
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
according to the cabinet's statement re: a National Electricity Emergency Programme (NEEP) "In a sense we (SA) are the victims of our own success" - lol, stupidity more likely....
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
This is a sad day for SA! Watch overseas investors dump SA stock and Rand!!! Many Top 40 shares are over 5% or more down.
0 Kudos
hobo
Contributor
There is something I just can't swallow: A month ago, there were no power cuts. How come suddenly it is necessary to have massive power cuts country-wide? IMO they have lost some major generating capacity and this is being hushed-up. I don't think we are being told the whole story. Don't give me that balony about growth - what? in the last 30 days!
0 Kudos
valpet
Not applicable
I agree that we have no been told the whole story. There must be power station units that are down - maintenance? and all at once - poor planning and the people at the top get performance pay outs I here - for letting the economy down?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
well spotted hobo.....tis definitely more to dis......
0 Kudos
hobo
Contributor
What's going to happen when the Gravy Train runs out of coal? LOL On a serious note, I heard reports that due to power cuts affecting 3 pump stations at the sewage works, raw effluent has pouring in to the Vaal river at 3 points. Please God, the government is addressing this issue as the famifications are extremely serious and a drinkable water crisis (not to mention Cholera etc) will be the next crisis facing our country.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
And one unit at Koeberg went offline on Monday - which was after the load shedding started. 900MW off for three months. Bad timing. PS: Why can't Eskom turn off all the street lights at night as save some coal?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
This man can fix your problem gents , Brent Mclaren flightcenter sunninghill 011 234 9800
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Next week may not be good for us. Interview by 702 with leading economist revises our GDP growth target - 3% down from 6% due to 6 weeks approx. shut down at the mines, coupled with the snow-ball effect on all the sectors of business depending on our mines to keep their business going. For further consideration, research into economic breakdown shows that crime is the first to go, followed by power, followed by water, then infrastructure. Residences grouping together to form their own circles of sub-economies where they organise their own security, their own power sources, eventually their own water-supply, food supply etc. I've been a patriotic S African, embraced and facilitated our change, but this is worrying me. Our good friend, emigrations facilitator, can't keep up with business people are leaving so quick. We sitting with major deficit - now we'll deal with a tumbling rand. As small business shut down (60% of our economy), and top income earners leave, our tax-base will shrink .... Someone, convince me that this is not an economic decline.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I totaly agree that escom is hiding something or maybe not,maybe they havent realised that there is a problem yet!Last year we were not affected by much power cuts and all of a sudden all hell brake loose.Demand grew at a certain pace and if growth demand caused problem then problem should have gotten worse gradualy as growth was gradual.I think that maintanance,reserves in coal,management etc was to blame.Too many unqualified people in important positions.
0 Kudos
org
Super Contributor
here in pretoria the fat cats are still wasting power, many people have lights in their gardens, we can switch off AT LEAST HALF THE STEET LIGHTS.Has anybody thought how much coal is burnt daily to feed the capitalist greed, and the massive pollution it causes.see rense.com
0 Kudos
simps
Contributor
Are the mining shares likely to fall as a result of the latest power shortages or are they going to thrive?? Do we go short or long?
0 Kudos