Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Eskom

cfm
Super Contributor
All that will do is swap your electricity bill for your petrol bill. Which one is cheaper per kW of energy?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
A better life for all....for all cadre deployments and top brass officials ;-)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The alternator doesnt put a significant load on the engine,.. not as an aircon pump does, so basically its free energy. Only the little extra weight you carry that can increase fuel consumption.
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
The energy to charge the battery must come from somewhere. There is no such thing as free energy. And last time I looked, the fuel cost for a generator was much more than the electricity cost for the same load.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Love your joomla template on GreenDYI.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well, if you want to get technical..only let the battery charge if you apply the brakes.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Being a developer (smaltime) I started redesigning the geyser setup in conjunction with the plumber. If a house needs 2 geysers they are coupled in serie. The one geyser is switched of in times of low usage. In times of higher usage the first geyser is only used as an pre heater for the second unit. If the client wants an solar unit (only the panels ) is coupled to the 1st geysers inflow. A controller unit is pre installed to the second unit that regulates the power up times. The plumber told me afterwards that in retrospect he will implement this to most new houses. Thing is the architects, city councils, eskom doesnt make an concerted effort to educate in this regard.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
The answer for me lies in the hands of the regulator. Alow people, houshold to sell any electricity they can produce into the grid at wholsale prices and buy shortfalls at retail prices that way I dont need a solar heater or a whatever, I simply need a two way metre, and a solar pannel or 3. Think what an effect this whould have on the unemployed oke in the township who gets a solar pannel as a grant, he can earn a living from his shack roof..
0 Kudos
GarethJ
Regular Contributor
This is exactly what I have, but there has been zero optimisation. I assume this means that the first geyser (solar) should have no power switched on - except possibly in cases of extreme hot water requirements or cloudy days. The second geyser (in turn) should be heated using a timer - really just to keep the prefeed water at optimum temp. This would probably be tweaked with experience.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Ja, swaar...and soon we will be reading about solar panel hijackings...
0 Kudos
GarethJ
Regular Contributor
I'm investigating buying a property between Knysna and Uniondale - no Eskom so need alternative power. In that area apparently the only crime which occurs is theft of Solar Panels if you leave them unattended for too long! But no panel highjackings yet...
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Up till just after the first "free election " in 1994 Lydenburg produced its own electricity from hydro turbines on the Dorps River and as a result the whole town 5000 residents payed almost nothing for for electricity.Of course all was stopped as the new south africa decided this was a colonial method.Funnily the muncipality has maintaine d the equipment in good working order.Unfortumnately the same can not said of the muncilpality,where the major was forced to resign eventually ,but only after her house was burnt down!We dont even receive muncipal bills anymore.i pay what i think i should.The equipment can feed into the local escom grid and has the capacity to supply 15,000 households.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Gareth. The main benefit of the configuration is that the second geyser doesnt have to run except when theres huge demands.
0 Kudos