Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Eurozone debt

kwagga
Super Contributor
I think there is an underlying fear about US debt levels that's also driving the markets, but for some reason that's a theme many avoid. Not a word about that on CNBC or Bloomberg.
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
European aid package also not implemented. The French are revolting again. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/frances-sarkozy-threatened-to-exit-euro-el-pais-2010-05-14
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
huh?, HG, i understand the article as saying that the french forced the agreement on germany, nothing about the aid not being implemented, where you see that??
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Where's the money? Has any of it been paid to the PIIGS?
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
Actually it is the Germans who did not want to help. France with support of Spain & Portugal bent Merkels arm by threatening to depart from the euro unless Germany changed its stance. After that Merkel lost a provincial election. The USA has pumped in $12 trillion in bail out money, roughly 80-85% of its GDP. In USA,UK and EU this figure is close to $20 trillion. Staggering amounts that somehow have to be paid back. How? I wouldn't have a clue.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Quite a few of the blogs talk about the US debt, but the mainstream sticks to the fear du jour. Can't overcomplicate it for the American news consumer. Besides, has more punch when you keep quiet until it's impending doom.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Also look at the draconian measures some of these countries are taking to drive down debt levels. Seeing that must raise some concern for US investors, because ultimately that's where they are headed, but everyone knows it will be political suicide to even mention measures like this in the US. Even the financial channels are steering clear of the subject.
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
remember its a crisis fund, incase they need it...... "EU nations agreed to provide approximately $30 billion in loans 'should' Greece have problems borrowing money to service its high debt levels"
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
And what those measures do to other countries. E.g. EU demand goes down due to austerity = Asian exports take a hit.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
End of day Eurozone is trying to reduce Greek debt level with worthless paper money!This is only the tip of the spear,what about the other dodgy countries in the Euroz?Bottom line every cloud has a golden lining!!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
hmmm, thre's actually a trillion $'s on the table for the entire EU ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
All this doom and gloom, especially the USA part is being ignored. Greece is a mickey mouse country. I think the USA is scared that the world markets could zoom in on their issues and then the whole pack of cards will come falling down. I better go and buy some Kruger rands and keep it in the safe at home.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Until they start printing Euros, the trillion is coming from...countries in the EU! Well, some from the IMF as well, but many of those are in the EU. So it's just Contagion 2.0, really. And all they have is promises - lets see if they can actually get the cash once countries start taking strain.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Yeah, but 1998 was caused by some Disney countries as well. Fact is, this stuff gets unpredictable fast. It may blow over, it may end the Euro.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
CNBC and Bloomberg will never spill the bad beans..and if there is a problem..it's normally related to the PC's not working lekker!
0 Kudos