Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Ex div

buyme
Contributor
hi,can anyone please tell me if there is a way to protect yourself from a share going ex div? i did a cfd last time,just to find that they adjust the price of the cfd,i dont trade in cfd's but it was a real learning curve....the hard way.im sure they do the same with a futures contract?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
you got the benefit of the dividend though? so all things being equal you were square on your cfd.
0 Kudos
buyme
Contributor
thats the thing though,you are all square. on the cfd,the price must fall the amount of the div or you start losing money,which was the case with me.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an that's the market .. sometimes it falls more, sometimes less and sometimes same .. nothing you can do, except not be in over LDT ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
the price difference on the CFD was probably just the spread that you saw, the spread on a CFD doesnt change at different times (ex-div, cum div, etc) its always there.
0 Kudos
buyme
Contributor
thanks guys
0 Kudos
Frogg
Frequent Contributor
Has anyone had good or bad experiences/sugestions when coming to shorting cfds on LDT
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
short stocks that are going down ..
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
If you short on LDT you pay the dividend, dangerous game to play!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
in a bear market, its worth it. seems a couple of stocks have dropped more than their div.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
but an equal number of stocks go up ex div, so go figure. Barry had a strategy of trading stocks on the run up to their divs. Don't know if he still does it - but I would put him as the forum resident expert on this type of trading.
0 Kudos