Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Exit strategy

Asher
Regular Contributor
I am having problems with my exit strategy. I find myself selling only to see the share rally some more or loosing profits because I did not exit the rally soon enough.
Any comments or maybe sharing exit strategies that you guys use?
Thanks...
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Asher
Regular Contributor
Just to add: not an exit on shares loosing money but strategies on taking profit...
Thanks again
0 Kudos
Not applicable
same problem here,all I can suggest is decide when u enter what profit you want and then sell when reached.If share climbs higher too bad,be happy with your profit.That is what I try to stick to.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
I'm trying Elder's safestop system to get me out of winning trades at the right time. I posted an explanation and some AFL code here - http://blogs.24.com/ViewBlog.aspx?blogid=4251e6e8-51a2-41e1-8307-e9f06294e71d
This is for long trades only - for short trades the code is a little different.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
In line with Chartist's new god-like status I think you should ask his advice. Word on the street is he's an expert on exit strategy.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Talk is that our man C is now a day trader. So what ever your stratergy, I think his will be a quicky, in and out.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
When i buy a share i put on 12% and then put it up for a sell.If the share is a mover ill climb back in with the original amount.That way i ensure a monthly income for me.
0 Kudos
Asher
Regular Contributor
Thanks, very informative
0 Kudos
Asher
Regular Contributor
Think I'll do the same for the time being...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
lol.. and here I was thinking he was an expert on input and output strategy both ;)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
My take on an exit strategy is based on limiting my losses. The biggest decision I have to make is how much can I afford to lose. When the trade goes your way its easier to make an exit decision cos youre under no pressure and you can only win while its going up. You have to learn to trust your instinct and remember all the good reasons you entered that trade in the 1st place. Another good reason would probably to exit because youve found something better.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja John - u have it - I am in and out all day... want to do a video showing a live trade but my software I use for recording has a bug.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hi there you Chartist, Good to see I can still get a rise out of you!
0 Kudos