Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Exiting shorts?

klapka
Super Contributor
How will someone exit a short position if the share does not relist as it was? And if it does then there would be bid and offer sides and therefore a price for those shorters to cover? Trying to get my head around this.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
most of the insto's have already exited off market .. otherwise they have a liability to the liquidators .. new shares will not be same abl shares, so that moot
0 Kudos
TheInvestor
Contributor
Simon, and what about normal equity holders? Took a gamble and bought a couple thousand shares at 34c. Is it safe to assume that this is a write off? Or is there a possibility, that in the new entity for the "good company", I will still have some value?
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
You've got an invite to the Ball but you have to pay at the entrance
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
That's interesting as this query was from a friend who stays outside the country 75% of the year. He said he has a big short position. I assume as he asked me he still has it and surely his broker would have advised him as you say here?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
most likely the existing ABL shares will be converted to rights to buy new shares in the newly listed co .. but importantly you will have to pay for those new shares, they won't be free ..
0 Kudos
G_V_V
Super Contributor
So what do you think the rights offer will be worth?
0 Kudos
koos2
Super Contributor
Zero, thing is tainted.
0 Kudos
manere_fortis
Frequent Contributor
Are ABL derivatives still worth something? Interesting view expressed by OST consultant today. He said that the consensus view at OST is that though ABL shares are worthless, the derivatives, if still held, will be applicable to the new shares issued. Doesn't sound right to me, but that is what he said.
0 Kudos
manere_fortis
Frequent Contributor
Are ABL derivatives still worth something? Interesting view expressed by OST consultant today. He said that the consensus view at OST is that though ABL shares are worthless, the derivatives, if still held, will be applicable to the new shares issued. Doesn't sound right to me, but that is what he said.
0 Kudos