Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Expected interest rate hike and outcome ...

CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
... and reference to yesterday's chat around the 6 months delayed effect. An immediate result is that the investors in the share market (especially banking sector) lose their money as illustrated by the red arrows on the sector screen. That should result in lower spending on consumer goods as well as a reluctance to buy shares. Lateley I hear some responces on queries in the media start with the phrase "I don't think ..." - Hope this is not the case with our Governor and that he will pipe up with "I think that an increase of 100bp is justifiable, but taking into account certain socio economic factors and the RB duty to stabilize the monetary environment,we will postpone any increase until it is proved that our brothers and sisters in the public sector spend their well deserved salary increase wisely and preferably focus on savings rather than squandering."
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Preston
Super Contributor
It is for that reason , i feel interest rate will remain unchanged. Buy bank shares , hold , if interest rate remain unchanged , those share will increase in value (as seen in our last monetary meeting) and then sell . Reasonable profit can be made for only couple of hours? omo
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Yes, I also noticed your other posting hinting on this strategy. However, Dawie Roode wants the bp to go up to instill discipline. You go for the big 4 with your R60k?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I want to gamble abit...Nothing ventured ,nothing gained!Aaagh let do it!
0 Kudos