Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

FINBOND THE NEXT CAPITEC

7 REPLIES 7
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Yes - they didn't pick the first Capitec - so what qualifies them to pick the next Capitec? Where were they 10 months ago when this share was tradng at 6c?
0 Kudos
Pepi
Regular Contributor
Exactly right - I recall just a few months ago when at 14c you were talking her up, actually even from 7c. And this rise is on good volume as well. I just don't know if management is capable enough - i'm not doubting them or otherwise, i really just don't know.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
It's got everything going for it, but a PE of 60 gives me the heebeegeebees.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
I still hold most of mine. I certainly wouldn't be buying at these lofty levels.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
To compare to Capitec's growth story is not viable, IMO. Capitec's balance sheet when they started out in 2002 was 10 times bigger than Finbond's. I think Finbond's market cap now is like R70m vs Capitec that had R500m in 2002 already. Much Much easier for Capitec to have raised funds for fixed infrastructure expansion (branches and point of sale infrastructure and rollout). Still though, this is an attractive sector, and Capitec has proven to the investment world that retail banks can be taken on in SA very profitably. So maybe Finbond can play in this space after all - but I have my real doubts about their comparative ability to build a point of sale infrastructure. Retail banking, I think, will be beyond their reach. That is not an industry that you can grow organically from a base as big as theirs.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Capitec had a market cap of R25 million in the beginningf. Finbond has a market cap of around R1,2 billion at this point.
0 Kudos
Pepi
Regular Contributor
I understand that Summit will be hosting the FINBOND CEO next week and I think it will be on *Small Caps* Wednesday 8.30
0 Kudos