Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

FSR

Preston
Super Contributor
Short term trade , any entry price below R19,30 is a good trade.
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
Rams
Super Contributor
Preston, i think any price below 18.53 and prefer around 18.28.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Ram, i am talking short term, in and out within a day. No risk.
0 Kudos
Terra
Super Contributor
No Risk?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Yip, if you know what you are doing.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Please can you explain to me how there is NO RISK? I think you may be smoking your socks
0 Kudos
Not applicable
firstly, you cannot reliably trade intraday on stocks - spreads, costs don't make for reliable systems. Secondly, if you are going to short a stock, why chose one that is holding its own? Pick one that is showing relative weakness? I.e. one where the fundamentals are not sound - or a commodity stock, which is cyclical by nature
0 Kudos
Terra
Super Contributor
I can't think of anything good to reply, so I'll follow my mom's advice and keep my mouth shut....
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I can debate this point , but i will not. If you pay close attention to the stock market, it will reveal a few of its secrets to you. I first witness this similiar play with SHP (Shoprite)and yesterday it happened to FSR. No risk for me ,is simply getting rid of that share within the same day using the necessary indicators as guidance.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
OK, my apologies on my previous reply, I interpreted that you wanted to short FSR (sorry!). But my first point still stands - if you tell me you made money on a 1% share price move - I will call you a liar (ok, maybe a bit strong - fibber? puller of socks?)
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Dude , you are missing the point, a move from 19,30 to 19,60 is more than 1% , multiply that by 5000 installments. Pay close attention to the play. Attacking me will not make me any less wiser or stupid.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Come on dude - that is a 1.5% move (assuming you were able to take the spread at both ends). The installment cost you 1.2% on the buy and sell - you made .3% profit? You would need to be right 99% of the time to make money like this
0 Kudos
Not applicable
sounds like you have it waxed preston.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Do not focus on profit. A R1000 profit in this market is great. Focus on the play, let that form part of your trading strategy.
0 Kudos
Terra
Super Contributor
That I agree with you, LOCK PROFITS quickly during the uncertain times
0 Kudos
Not applicable
OK, lets do that - lets focus on the play. you took a position which cost you the equivalent of 1.2% of the share price movement excluding the spread - which probably adds another 0.5%. Your breakeven was 1.2%. Now your risk was maybe 0.5% - you would exit on a 0.5% move to the downside - which is helluva tight, but fine. So now to make a decent risk reward play - your exit is now 2.1% minimum in order to break even on a 50/50 play. So to make a profitable strategy, you would be looking for at least a 2.5% move on FSR. 2.5% equates to 50 points. FSR's average true range over 14 days is 41 points, so even if you could capture the extremes of hte daily price movement, you still would not be profitable with this type of trade. You would have to capture the daily extremes (enter at the low, and exit at the high) AND you would have to be able to do that on the percentage of days where price movement is above its ATR. Still want to call this a low risk strategy?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Okay, lets keeps this simple. Return of Capital of 3% Assume the following variables just for today trade At 1930 , bought 5000 standardbank installment for FSR at 6,24 total R31269, Breakeven R6,25. At 1960 sold with a net proceed of R32230.48 (+/-) Return on Capital R1000 (+/-)/R31269,51= 3% return. The above illustration is so off my original points.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
the power of leverage and a bit of maths....even 1% a day will give 20% a month...but as you say, know what you doin
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Not sure what it is that you guys don't understand here. Preston - a 30pt move on the share price gave you your 3% gain. But it would take less than 20 pts in the other direction for you to have recorded a 3% loss. In fact, that loss would have been immediate, because the spread alone accounts for 20 pts. That is extremely poor risk reward.
0 Kudos