Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

FTSE 1 min chart...

Not applicable
I think our little morning rally may be over if the FTSE double top on the 1 min chart breaks the 3917 level. On the other hand we may spark a new rally if we break 3950 (this turn is also a 23.6 retracement from yesterday's 4250 level, can we retrace 61.8 up to 4100? Nova, John, Chartist... ?
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
a DT on a 1 minute chart surely only tells you about the next 5 miytes or so. Not the rest of the day.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
sure simon, I'm only trying to determine what the mindset is like out there. further, it looks like we are currently building out an ascending triangle (continuation pattern?)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya maybe. I closed my shorts, so no longer have an active interest in the market.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
Wena, Simon's right. A 1min chart is an evil and noisy thing. I only ever glance at 1min charts during the open and close and that just to get an idea of when a swing pivot might be forming. I never ever trade off a 1min. Even for FX I will trade off an absolute minimum 5min chart and that only after I've checked that the 30min indicators and swing system are in the direction of my trade and that the daily chart confirms the primary direction is also in the direction of my trade. Anybody who trades off a single time scale (other than long term investors who may only work off daily, weekly or monthly charts) is going to eventually go bankrot.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Why close your shorts,Simon?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Nova, can you tell me more about your swing system plz? Are you using Bollinger and RSI? Care to drop me a mail -> simson123 at hotmail.com? Thx
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
coz lotsa profit an me thinks bounce time soonish.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon...I am disappointed to hear that you are selling on a whim (or should I say buying?) where are those predetermined exit levels or have you lost the note u normally keep in your top pocket to remind you where they are?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
chartists lol ... my note had a level on it, 16,100 an I exited ... my exit was 16,099 ... so yes I missed it a little ... but heck ...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ok so the mental image is in tact....I have this picture of impecable control ...as if you are not able to act contrary to anything written on the paper....a demure that is carried with the same sense of self satisfaction which a nerd has when he glances down at his pens and pocket protector...
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
LOL...so what do you glance down at Chartist???? :-)
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Remember what I said about buying property and retiring Simone. . . .
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
chartist, never under estimate my laziness, nor my lack of interest at staring at prices all day. and this was not a normal exit in that I don't do targets rather stops . but I had decided that if it hit 16,100 before Friday I would exit and buy my dealers lunch take my wife to dinner in CT . and so I wrote it onto the piece of paper . .
0 Kudos
Not applicable
the image is intact...as an educator are u not glad some of what u have said sticks in the minds of your pupils?....where will u be going to dinner in CT
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yes an no idea as yet
0 Kudos
Not applicable
can give you some pointers if you tell me what you like...even if I say so myself I am a good rest critic..
0 Kudos