Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

FTSE/JSE top 40 futures

Not applicable
I have just come across http://www.forexpros.com/indices/south-africa-40-futures It seems a good page. Any comments?
0 Kudos
36 REPLIES 36
Frogg
Frequent Contributor
Hows that for an engulfing candle on the 15min chart
0 Kudos
Frogg
Frequent Contributor
looks like here comes another one to the down side
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the one to trade was the 2pm .. entry for short around 270 ..
0 Kudos
Frogg
Frequent Contributor
Thanks Simon, I was joking about the one on the way down but looks like it might just happen
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
lol, it failed and the green one was not in sync with the MACD so not for my trading ..
0 Kudos
Frogg
Frequent Contributor
Simon MACD about to cross do two seperate candles also count as an engulfing candle for a trade to the up side
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
MACD just for direction .. an no, one candle, well 2 in the inidtial and then the one that engulfs ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Not wanting to brag or anything, but my 3 strikes long strategy gave 2 entries today - each yielding 400pts. I had one wiplash costing me 50pts, but in all, a 750pt day. Will supply details for those who are interested
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Even simpler - I have committed to my AGL, BIL, NTC etc . I sell after a good run. And then have a rule - I must buy them back. I am always long. Always making money out of these positions as they climb over the years and don't care if the market crashes. Not optimising my trading - but it suits me. Although - if things look particularily weak - I'll take a short on the TOPI as insurance.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Skaap, it would be nice if you could share the details of your system.
0 Kudos
manicks
Regular Contributor
Hi Skaap, yes will appreciate if you could share details, thanks
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Skaap, mail me your details pleasa .. [email protected]
0 Kudos
Nandos
New Contributor
Skaaptjop - I'd appreciate your details also - thanks. [email protected]
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
RisseN
Contributor
Hi Skaap, I would very much appreciate seeing your system. Thanks. email: [email protected]
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
KJR
Frequent Contributor
Better Still, you could explain on this forum
0 Kudos
Not applicable
OK guys, the gyst of the 3 step long system is really quite simple. It is a money management system. If the TOPI is trending up, and the best measure for trend, IMO, is the stochastic oscilator - with fast stoch > slow stoch, then there is a better than 70% likelihood that the topi will close higher than it opened. This you can backtest on any platform, like Amibroker, or any other platform. The reciprocal also applies, but is not quite as powerful - but it is in excess of 60%. So the 3 step long system is really a bottom picking strategy. You have 3 shots at going long, whenever the current action is below the opening price. There are dozens of long entry signals, but this you have to work out for yourself. It is the money management that is important. So if you are prepared to place a 50pt stoploss, and you aim for 100pt gain minimum, then you can afford to be wrong 2 times out of 3. SO providing you stick hard and fast to the money management rules, if you haven't managed to catch an uptrend early in 3 attempts in a day, then give up and wait for the next day. Simple money management rules are that 15% of the time, you will lose 150pts. 25% of the time, you will make 100pts and 25% of the time you will make 50pts. The trick is to protect your 100 pts, but not to take profit necessarily. You want to ride out the winners, so once you hit 100 pts, move your stop to breakeven. Once you hit 150pts, set your stop to the 100pt level, and then let your profits ride. THere are some obvious reversal patterns on the daily charts that will negate any long trades, but that is a separate topic.Also, anything more than a 60% retracement off yesterday's trading range high, must be treated with care - there are rules for overriding, but best to stay out.
0 Kudos
andre20
Contributor
Would like to know as well?
0 Kudos