Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Falling wedge

sponono
Super Contributor
Nice falling wedge.
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Rams
Super Contributor
Yes, nice falling wedge.But on rising volume....or rather not on decreasing volume. My analysis based on ELLIOT WAVE is this :That last upturn towards the upper trendline of the wedge might be a "false breakout" which may form the 3rd reversal point on the upper trendline forming above the current upper trendline of the wedge. There will be some move up but a bigger move down. But lets see if it goes back to the bottom trendline or bounces of the upper trendline when it comes back down.
0 Kudos
FEK
Super Contributor
Based on charts what are your short term target price on Anglo American ?
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
my observation of falling wedges is that they take out the previous high. the target would therefore anything above R400.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
does falling or rising wedge ever actually work ??
0 Kudos
FEK
Super Contributor
Thanks, lets cross our fingers and hope........What sort of timeframe are you looking at for target above R400 ?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
no,failure rate about 80-90%......even with volume as confirmation
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
Capco did a falling wedge between November and January 2011, broke through resistance at R16.60 and is now 20% higher year to date. GND did a rising wedge between Novermber and January and then collapsed by 31%. Yes, Simon they do work but like every trade, your stop is your best friend.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
huh ?? so completely and absolutely useless ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
For me they work.Got a rising wedge on the sp500 futures 1 hr chart with overshoot in wave 5 just now.Correction in this run up with the alsi gap to close.So lets test if it works.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
but why trade it when you can get stopped out 8 out of 10 times? I find that the problem with the falling wedge is that it tries to pick the bottom or top of the market and puts one in a trade thats counter trend... the TREND is your best friend. I dont trade wedges because it goes against the short term trend ...Thats just my view based on waves
0 Kudos
Terra
Super Contributor
< 32000c more likely.....
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
waves, ha? I never trade waves because I never understand them. I use chart patterns and stage bases.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
and therein lies the beauty about trading....we all get there(or not get there) by different paths
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
and therein lies the beauty about trading....we all get there(or not get there) by different paths
0 Kudos