Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Financial Sector

Chem_I
Contributor
Any comments on financial markets.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
barry_1
Super Contributor
Caution ahead of interest rate decision on Thursday,plus our markets are taking a rest after good runs ,also blowing off some of the froth as earning multiples have become over extended.To cap every thing partial Yank holiday taday ,bond market was closed for Columbus day and thin trading on their stock market as well!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Shucks, you knows it was a good weekend when you wake up Monday - an they tell you its areddy Tuesday. Must be this darned iceberg in the sea - only way te stay warm is to pickle yer blood. An maybe a nice entry into banks to get the week started. Specially asa an std: Broken downtrend restistance, and room for a decent pullback. Looking at asa around 129.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Financials uneasy, awaiting interest announcement by CHATTYCHAT on 08 Oct 14:31 Would the forumites expect some uneasiness the next coupla days after the previous week's rally of bank/financial shares? Think that the expectation of 'no change' announcement on interest levels this week is priced in already? And should 'no change' be confirmed, how will the market respond? I think there is room for a further little rise in banks' share price.------Re:Financials uneasy, awaiting interest announcement by Preston on 08 Oct 14:48 Keep the interest rate constant should make the Financial sector more attractive , however It is highly unlikely.------ Re:Re:Financials uneasy, awaiting interest announcement by CHATTYCHAT on 08 Oct 14:56 Keep the interest rate constant...is highly unlikely.? make the Financial sector more attractive...is highly unlikely.? Not sure about your answer here. Preston, I'm trying to create hope for myself, here. Also trying to get the drift about the 'priced in' expression so often used by Chartist. He said the future is priced in, when the future (a future event) is reached, all arguments fall away and a new yardstick develops.------ Re:Re:Re:Financials uneasy, awaiting interest announcement by Preston on 08 Oct 15:18 Mr C , i have also invested quiet heavily in the Financial sector. I am just being realistic. Petrol price seem to be the evil force behind the inflation target. Whilst there have been a slow down in various sector i.e car sale. I think that Tito will adopt the cautious approach and will raise interest rate instead of being caught flat- footed. We should also bear in mind that we in the last 3 month of the year and petrol price also seem to to be easing off. I hope he does not raise rate but i am not that optimistic.------ Re:Re:Re:Re:Financials uneasy, awaiting interest announcement by CHATTYCHAT on 08 Oct 17:01 Thx for comments. I beg to differ :-) about a rate increase, so we'll wait it out and see. Rate increase always has effect 6 months and more down the line and we've had our bit, economy cooled down well, private vehicle sales (THE most ugly activity to rely on credit omo) is now well contained as actual and projected sales have declined, as well as a few other not so nice spending patterns. But, yes: it does seem that inflation still grins with bare teeth. (All share soared nicely today but is now heading to -.6% on Friday.)------ Re:Re:Financials uneasy, awaiting interest announcement by faure on 08 Oct 17:28 I for one will be surprised to see a rate hike. Rates overseas are steady and/or falling - that will spill over into our market. Plus car and home sales are under pressure. I think Tito will be pretty agressive to raise this week.------ Re:Financials uneasy, awaiting interest announcement by divz on 08 Oct 17:16 Chatty my sentiments with you.If i were a betting man my money would be on no change. Other factors besides what you mentioned are maize is down and the Rand a little strong at the moment. I think whats priced in is somewhere between 0 and 50 point increase so should see banks and retailers go up a little if in fact no change - OMO. If another increase we will see a little red.
0 Kudos