Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Finding the appropriate leveraged instrument

Hedgehog
Frequent Contributor
Hi Simon You have been quite helpful in the past. I think me an a few guys have developed a trading system giving good results, but we now have to find a leveraged instrument we can invest in for longer than 3 months. Warrants have time decay and barriers. We do not fancy margins calls, so no SSF. We want to play the TOPI - is there anything else we can consider?
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
barry_1
Super Contributor
pardon me for butting in....what about installments,no time decay,getting the same dividends which are considered tax free as shares etc?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, instalments .. there is a time decay of sorts (cost of carry) .. but it is likely to be around 1% per month, so very very modest .. and gearing levels generally around 2 or 3 times ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'm confused regarding installments, first you pay half price for the underlying share, you keep it and recieve complete dividents for the shares. Now after the share has climbed to your wishes, and you wish to cash up and leave;now you pay the other half that you didnt pay in the beginning, and take your dividents and profit generated from rising undelying share. Am I understanding it correct?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you can pay the other half .. or you can just sell it back to the issuer and take you profits in cash ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Oh so you sell the shares half price to the issuer at current share price. And they only advantage youve gained was to recieve divi's at full price rate, because issuer buys back at half price.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So infact the risk is same as ordinary shares, but u get divi's x 2.
0 Kudos
theyoungster
Super Contributor
CFD'S contract for difference chech out idealcfds.com
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Then cost of carry for 4 months = -4% cancels your quartely divident income.?????
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no, you not gettign it .. on the menu == help and education == instalments course ..

You also get the full profit of the share price move, but remembering you only paid half price .. so basic example ignoring divs and cost of carry) share at R10, you pay R5 .. share goes to R15 (+50%) and instalment goes to R10 (+100%) .. heance gearing is 2x ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
cfd's same risk, margin calls as ssf ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ahh I see tnx. and turbo instalment 75%....= 3 times gear
0 Kudos
Hedgehog
Frequent Contributor
Hi Guys and Simon - Thanks for all the response and debate. We would like to trade an EFT, specifically Top40. It looks like only TOPSKA qualifies, sort of.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
there are a number of top40/STX40 products to trade .. most are warrants (more then just topska) and also some instalments on stx40 ..
0 Kudos
Hedgehog
Frequent Contributor
HI Simon thanks - now I feel silly - how do I find the STX40 instalments?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I can't find them either, but I am sure I recall some being issued recently .. will hunt around ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nope, seems my mind is playing games with me .. there doesn't seem to be any ..
0 Kudos
Hedgehog
Frequent Contributor
Gr8 - luckily I can stop feeling silly
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Just type STX40 OR STXRES OR WICHEVER ONE U WANT IN LIVE PRICE!
0 Kudos
boing
Frequent Contributor
Hi Barry. So are you saying there are SI's for the ALSI40 or not. Also, can anybody give me the code for the 2 knockout warrants and where I can find the knockout levels.
0 Kudos