Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Fishing Ski's

HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Hi. Once again off topic but there's so much varied expertise on the forum. Is there anyone who has experience in using a fishing ski? If so, what model, technique, fishing spots, transport, etc. Thanks
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
Not applicable
That wave kayak deathtrap thing?
0 Kudos
Picky
Regular Contributor
Stealth ski is probably the lightest, get yourself a 1.8m rod from Kingfisher in Durban, cannister for a couple of handheld flares etc, You should use a least a 8 kg line cause you don't want to muck about to long in hauling in the fish
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Been looking at the Stealths online for a while now. Then saw them at the royal show. Would a roofrack be ok for transport? I don't want to get too expensive. Live an hours drive from the coast.
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Agree with the Stealth. Don't under estimate the need to be very fit. It gets tough out there.
0 Kudos
Picky
Regular Contributor
yip roofrack be ok, bugger to lift ski after a long row an haul accross the sand, weight seems to go up about 10kg per meter
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
My sit on ass daytrader lifestyle puts me in the relm of the unfit. Can easily get back in shape though. I was thinking of the Stealth BFS. It's one of the heavier makes though. Does it matter if I go out on a kayak designed for someone heavier?
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Is there any special license needed? Is an anchor crucial? Know of any suitable clubs?
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
If you join a surf lifesaving club, eg. durban surf. I think you can pay very small monthley fee, and leave your ski there, much beter that way as it is a mission to load on to car. Roof racks... "thula" is the best.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Do you know which agents stock those roof racks?
0 Kudos
Picky
Regular Contributor
I have my ski on chain at swartvlei lagoon an paddle out through river mouth, don't use a anchor cause i drift over a area after locating it with a fishfinder
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
There is a surf shop that sells them in town (durban), along with all kite bouarding equipment, bought mine awhile ago so cant remember name, will found out and a let you Know. or if you have a toyota can get them direct from dealership,
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
my question.. why would you want to ruin a perfectly good paddle by fishing?
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
It fills the gap!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Have you ever read the Myth called the Fisher King..
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
An Anchor??? You the sort of guy who insists on Stoplosses???
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Went around looking for a roof rack. I've got a bit of an exotic vehicle and so no standard rack (including the Thule's)can be easily mounted. Will need one made up. I did manage to find a decent towbar (at one of the 4x4 centres) though. Got neck, towbar and electronics all for R700; my vehicle agents initially quoted me R2400. So I'm really chuffed . . . and now I see that gap is working out.
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
does exotic mean it's a model from the eastern block of europe?
0 Kudos