Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Fixed versus Trailing Stop Losses??

Dilligaff2
Frequent Contributor
In a volatile market, are Fixed Stops better than Trailing (which I assume are better in a "bull market")??
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Brommie
Frequent Contributor
The trailing SL's are better because they follow the share price. The fixed SL's have to be adjusted manually at regular intervals to avoid you from loosing all your profits. In volitile situations I suggest still to use trailing SL's but with a higher %.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Dilligaff2, your logic makes sense. But the bad news is that stops are an art and not a science. There is no perfect stop loss. I use a 20% trailing on my derivative trades and on straight shares I generally use 5-8% depending on the share that I am in. I will also revert to a lower low on end of day price (when long) as a stop and this is classic trend reversal (Dow Theory).

The point with a stop loss system is two fold. First - you have to have one - without you will go broke. Secondly there is no perfect one that always works 100%. Sometimes you'll be stopped out only to see the stock tear off in you expected direction, but without you. And sometimes you widen it to keep you in a trade but still get stopped out, but at a bigger loss.

You can also look at some TA theories such as average true range (ATR), Elders safe stop (or is it van tharp?).
0 Kudos
Dilligaff2
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos