Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Flags on cars

HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Just wondering if those flags that people put on their cars upset the handling and stability of the vehicle? I havn't put up any flags so I don't know. I'm asking this coz yesterday I round a corner on the freeway at high speed and to my shock there's this little car (one of the smallest makes available) turned sideways, blocking the left lane of the N3. There was no other cars or obstacles around but this little vehicle had two huge flags sticking out of it. I didn't see what happened but I suspect those huge flags acted as some sort of sail and upset the cars ride. Any experiences?
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
dude .. you need to get out more ..
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Hey I was loafing in durbs then. Had some decent Merlot - at Spur of all places. Never expected their wine to be halfway decent.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
...need more downforce? Always keep it real.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Dude, trading activities relegating you to eating at hte spur? From your description of the cars handling - a more likely explanation would be that they were the ones who ordered the tassies
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
HG - only in the windy cities!
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
When I passed the car, I could smell burning brakes. I suspect the oke lost control of the vehicle and jammed on the brakes which twisted the car sideways.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I doubt the flags had anything to do with overturning the car - firstly the flags are normally installed on thin plastic sticks - unless this one was different these sticks havent got enough strenght to actually transmit the force required to tip a car over. What type of car was it - seems not to have good handling at all, i would think their tyres are worn down and grip didnt exist and they took the turn to fast, not much force needed to overturn then...
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
In summary the driver was slammed.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
The car wasn't overturner but it had spun around about 150 degrees. The flags wern't those little ones, for kicks I was counting those that had blown off on the side of the freeway. These flags were bigger, about 2/3 rds the size of a normal flag, and had stronger mountings. Couldn't catch the name of the car but was about the size of a corsa or one of those little kias or maybe a charade.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
oh, sorry, i misunderstood the turning around... i guess if the car isnt in good condition, e.g. tyres worn down and no grip, going fast around a turn and a bit extra forces from these flags. its possible, but i still think its surely the tyres and the driver of the car more than the flags fault... i saw a guy on a motorbike the other day with this huge flag - actually had to laugh when i saw him, the flag was bigger than he was - first you saw the flag then the bike and guy... really funny what some people come up with!
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
by the sounds of things, the driver was "flagged" down...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
nah, sounds like he had a "checkered" past
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
How much more are you people gonna flog this stupid topic ?
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
There should be special courses for Durbanites. How to compensate for the excessive force generated by flags on your car. How to get out the darned way without flying off the road. How to #*$! chill yourself, buddy.
0 Kudos
samoa
Super Contributor
Till the end.
0 Kudos